NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to pass on somethin I 'learned' for all those that trailer your boats.

We all spend alot of money on stuff and that includes security for our stuff.
The trailer left at the ramp all day when we're all out fishin is no different.
Something was brought to my attention that I've never really paid no mind to, is how much it'd cost to replace your trailer, not to mention your whole rig!!

Since I have a long fishin trip coming up, this was discussed with me (a friend) about what happend to a friend of ours.

Normal business, get to the launch, fill up the boat with everything, launch it, park the trailer/truck, get in the boat and go. Simple enough.
End of the day,,, NO trailer on the back of the truck!!!!!! NOW WHAT??!!!??!!

Here's what happend, the theives unscrewed the nut that holds the ball to the draw bar!!! talk about sneaky..... They either jacked up the trailer or just lifted the tounge (pretty light with no boat on it..) and more than likely set the ball into a draw bar connected to their truck. Now, boy dont that smell like low tide!!!! :mad:

Needless to say,,, trailer is gone.

Since I heard of this, it got me thinkin... my trailer is a little chunk of change and I'd be pretty bad off not bein able to get the boat back on it (I'd have to pilot the boat to Morehead from Wrightsville to dock it at my uncles).

Anyway,, we spend alot of money on security stuff, and it's great to have locks for the hitch latch and all that, but depending on your rig, trailer and all that, dont over-look the ball to draw bar "weak link".

Until I find a "better way" to secure my complete trailer/truck rig.. I now use the red Loctite thread locker and then once that's cured, I glob'd on Starbrite liquid electric tape (that stuff is a pain to get off 'anything'!)... so hopefully the theives wont spend too much time workin on my stuff if they cant get the hardware loose.

So, just somethin to pass on... we all work hard for what we got and I'd hate to see anyone for that matter get duped for somethin as simple as a tow ball nut.

I've heard that in Fla, they (local theives) will scope out who's pretty much gonna be gone for the day, then pick their targets. They'll take the trailer, then come back with a look out for the boat. When the folks tie up the boat and go to get help or whatever... the theives will back down the ramp with the poor persons own trailer and take the boat!!!!

So word to the wise... dont leave stuff unattended if possible.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, did a online search for actual ball locks and came up empty.

For right now I'm stickin to red Loctite (have to heat it up to get the nut to turn) and globbin on some liquid elect tape on the thread ends.... if anything, mine wont be an 'easy' target...

Someone was saying tack welding the ball to the draw bar is another option as well.

·
Registered
791 Posts
reading this gave me and idea for a lock that would work in place of the cotter pin on the type hitch I have... It would work for a ball as well if there were a hole through the threaded end of the ball.

Don't know who to talk to about it though....

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
ifirst off finding some one who could remove my ball from the hitch would be fun..i used a single wrench and a 5 foot hunk of pipe to tighten the ball nut.then welded the nut in place.:D i have a master lock hitch pin lock a master lock reciver pin lock.. and i have a locking nut on the spare tire...

how these guys go fishing with the work truck with ladders,equipment,ect on the back and not lose their stuff from it amazes me..

zooker

·
Registered
116 Posts
If thieves want it, it's gone. Don't be an easy target. These are all very good suggestions. Here are two more. 1) At ramps you frequent find a local homeowner who will let you park it in the side yard. You may have to walk a few hundred yards and you may have to slip him a fish or two every so often but it could save you an expensive trailer. 2) Put a 12 volt air compressor in the truck and deflate a trailer tire. Most theives wont change the tire before stealing the trailer. Just make sure the cord reaches the tire before you let the air out.:eek: These are a bit extreme I know but for what it's worth.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Topsail Angler said:
Hum - you may have something with the tire pressure. I have been searching for a tire lock like they make for steering wheels but no luck on that - so maybe this idea......
Mike, I know where to find your tire lock. Go park your truck in the "No parking" zone on Front Street, downtown Wilmington. You leave it long enough and Wilmington's finest will provide the lock. It helps if you have a few unpaid tickets under your belt.

Lock's easy....keys - not so easy :D.

Seriously you'd think you could buy something similar to what the Po-Po use. Maybe we can get Randy to talk to the boys from Buffalo Creek about fab'ing an NC Angler wheel lock. It sounds like money-maker to me.

How about a contest to name the new product. The winner gets a proto-type.

Here's my entry: "Trailer Sea-Cure"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.