NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, decided to get a trailer for the kayaks since I have a bed built in the back of my truck now. Chose a little 5' x 3.5' one so I can pull it behind smaller vehicles like my girlfriends honda element. here is is with the 10 foot boat on it. I will hopefully be replacing the tongue on the trailer for one about 3 feet longer then I can get rid of my makeshift rack extension. Without it though the boats wont fit. I will also be adding a giant rod tube and lockbox.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Nice trailer, but I'm really diggin that raised bed!

Reactions: catfish_hunter

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Nice job, but one thing I would be checking is how much weight is on the tongue, looks like very little as most of your load is behind the axle. Very low tongue weight can cause the trailer to wag side to side. Could mount a spare tire very far forward and put other gear as far forward to help. Please test this to stay safe, having a trailer go crazy on you at highway speeds can be a bad situation.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah for sure. This is a temporary setup. The front will be weighted down if in use and once I get the lockbox/longer tongue on the boats will move forward.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why is it sketchy? Once its balanced it'll be fine for now. When the longer tongue goes on and I move the racks forward it'll be directly over the axle.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
the center of gravity is way to far back and there are zero supports on that rear angle iron. it doesn't take a genius to see that that is risky. you probably don't need a longer tongue just slide that rack forward about 2 feet. it should clear your truck on wide turns just fine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The center of gravity is being counterbalanced by the lockbox that is going on the front. The bracing for the rear would be nice but not at all necessary with 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/8th in angle iron leveraged 20 inches with a load of only about 65 pounds. The current set up will only be traveling about 10 miles each way at town speeds. The tongue does indeed need to be extended. My other boat is 11.5 feet compared to this one that is 10 feet. Once I install the longer tongue the boats will be centered over the axle. For now the counter weight will keep everything tracking just fine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a sweet setup! I would have gone the tree style rack route with a bigger trailer for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts