NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Live in Hampstead, I primarily fish the Topsail Island backwaters and creeks from my kayak when I'm not in the skiff with dad.

However, I teach in Wilmington, and my school is right down the street from the Trails End Rd kayak access. I've only launched there a couple times over the years, but once the water warms more, I'm going to be taking the yak to work with me so I can go after work. Last I checked, you were still allowed to launch a kayak at trails end rd, and there was parking available.

I pass it everyday, and cross bradley creek a few times going to and from work. I love fishing sneeds ferry/topsail so much that I've neglected the waters right down the street from where I teach.

Basically, I'm looking for general info-quality water depth/drop offs within reasonable paddling distance? Success stories kayak fishing this area? I might be wrong, but the couple of times I remember putting in there, (couple years ago before I took my Wilmington job) it seemed like a lot of shallow areas.

My grades are in, my students are currently testing, and spring break/fishing consistently starts Friday!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering the same thing. I am a teacher too and just got my first kayak from a guy here at school.
I've launched there a few times in the past, but my best spots are in the Topsail area. It would be nice to learn the Bradley Creek area a little better. Congrats on the new kayak. What kind is it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too am a teacher in the area and will have my kayak loaded and ready on my truck when I go in Friday (and will likely stay on my truck all next week!)

ive be fished trails end a couple times but never had much success.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've launched there a few times in the past, but my best spots are in the Topsail area. It would be nice to learn the Bradley Creek area a little better. Congrats on the new kayak. What kind is it?
I'm not sure the exact brand, I know it came from Dicks. It is my first kayak so I took the bargain, figured it was better than nothing, lol. All the reading I've done sounds like Ft Fisher and Buzzards Bay are the best places to try. I've had good luck in both via boat. I guess I need to get out next week and give it a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have fished there a few times while I was at UNCW. Whiskey creek is across the waterway and is a good place to start. I have had some success drifting mullet for flounder through there, mostly dinks though. There are plenty of bays and oyster beds that hold drum during the summer time. It is definitely worth exploring and an easy access point for kayaking.
Good Luck

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've put in there a fair amount and enjoy hitting the big basins and the marsh areas across the ICW from the launch site. Plenty of parking until summer comes then it can be mayhem unless you're early. It is only a single ramp and lots of local boaters love to use it. I've found large schools of fat drum in the past as well as some killer flounder but as with any impacted area-it's hit and miss. It is very tidally influenced and until you get to know the area well you can get stuck out there. Just be sure to follow the tide well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.