NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for mounting a skimmer type transducer to a Tarpon 100? Will this work as a shoot thru the hull device if I mount it inside the front hatch? I've seen pictures of this being done but was wondering if anyone has tried it.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I don't know the boat or the transducer first-hand, but the general consensus on most of the forums I've read has been that most transducers work fine through-the-hull as long as you eliminate any air gaps. If you've got a temp sensor on your transducer, expect it to take a lot longer to register than if it were in the water.

Good luck
Lefty

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that pretty much what I've read. I think I'm going to mount it up thru a scupper hole. It will be more flush that way and reduce the amount of drag. If anyone is interested, I can post pics when I'm finished.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
You can use a transom mount transducer as a shoot through. However, some of the newer transom mount transducers have a more contoured construction that may prevent it from being mounted securely. Mounting the transducer through the scupper plug is a good way to mount and will allow you to receive full signal strength. Some signal is lost with shoot through transducers. I bought a shoot through with my Eagle and mounted it in the front hatch of my Tarpon 120 mostly because I didn't want wires running in the floor of my boat. I've been very pleased with the way it works for me. If you choose a shoot through just skuff the transducer and the mounting location with 100grit sandpaper. Use a slow cure epoxy, be sure to twist the transducer as you press it into place (to eliminate bubbles) , set a weight on it and be sure not to touch it for 24 hrs. It's a little intimidating at first but it works out pretty good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do not glue your transducer down to the hull.

Get a small piece of stiff foam, about 1 inch thick, cut a hole to fit your transducer tightly into the foam. glue or use doubleside mounting tape, to secure the foam to the hull. when dry put vaseline into the hole in the foam and press transducer down into the vaseline, there will be no air bubbles. I have my on a t-120, been there 3 years no problems, yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rob,

Do you have to replenish the vaseline? I get some water inside my kayak and I would think that over time, it would need to be replenished. I attached my transducer to a piece of PVC pipe and shoved it up a scupper hole and glued a 90 angle to the PVC pipe. Was going to test it today but the weather wasn't so nice this morning. Didn't feel like dodging lightning so hopefully I'll check it next weekend. I'll keep the foam and vaseline idea in mind if I don't like the results I get.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi robgear,
I tried the vaseline as you recommended, two different times. After the first time it didn't work I guessed not enough vaseline, maybe air bubbles, so I tried again making sure it was seated well with no bubbles. No luck again. I have one of the less expensive kayaks, a Kingfish from Dick's, so maybe there is something different about the hull or where I mounted it, in the V near the front scuppers.
I have fabricated a cup from 4" PVC shaped like the bottom V. I'll attach with goop this week when it's a bit warmer, then put the transducer into it and add water into the cup when I get to the lake. I'll let you know how that works. I also have issues with epoxying to the hull! If this doesn't work I'll fabricate something for the outside, off my Scotty bar.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had an idea to mount a transducer on a bracket screwed to the mounting point for the rudder (not used on my boats). It could be mounted with winged machine screws so it could be attached/taken off easily. I'd welcome any thoughts on that idea.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I had an idea to mount a transducer on a bracket screwed to the mounting point for the rudder (not used on my boats). It could be mounted with winged machine screws so it could be attached/taken off easily. I'd welcome any thoughts on that idea.
this seems like a very good idea. would there be any issues with the transducer located that far back in the boat? seems like for the best sonar read it ought to be located on the front half of the boat, but i don't really know that for sure. would be interested in the hardware you use to put this together -- the screws should be easy enough to find, but what about the bracket you'd need to mount the transducer below waterline? please post a photo when you put this together.

re: scupper hole mount -- that seems like a good idea as well, except for the loose wires. would be interested in seeing/hearing what kind of hardware you use for this.

thanks for the idea -- joel

·
Registered
268 Posts
You're absolutely right it could be better on the bow, however, I have transducers on my powered boats and they are on the transom, and on the trolling motor on the transom, respectively. I usually use the unit to get me to the right depth and if I see fish I often mark them with a float or mentally and back off to fish for them.
As far as the mounting bracket, I think anyone could bend a piece of aluminum, drill a few holes and screw the attachment together...if they want to. Each model will probably vary a bit. I've seen what some of the people on this site have done to modify their kayaks and doubt if most will have a problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was at Gander MTN in Greensboro the other day. They tricked a Kayak out for fishing and they ran theirs thru the scupper hole. They used a fitting they put in the hole and then the wire came thru it. It looked really nice wanted to talk to them about it but the Tackle monkey attacked before I had a chance.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
All this is making me feel really good about my suction cup mount. Is there something I don`t know? I have had 2 portables both with a cup and slapped it on and went. I can put on any of my 4 yaks instantly and if I go with somebody in a power boat I take mine and stick it on theirs too. (take it off at speeds)Never had a complaint unless it it that it will come off after a couple hours. Just stick it back on. If I hit something hard enough it will pop off which seems like a good thing.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
only thing bad i've heard about a suction cup mount is that they don't stick too well to plastic hulls. but it holds for 2 hrs and it's easy to reattach, sounds workable. i like the option of being able to move to another boat as well. thanks -- joel

Reactions: Stew-Rat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up attaching the transducer to a piece of PVC pipe a couple of inches long. Then I stuck it thru the scupper hole and glued a PVC 90 degree elbow in place. This keeps it nice and tight against the bottom of the kayak and reduces the drag. The excess wire was coiled and tie wrapped out of the way. This ended up working pretty good for me. I put a battery in to the front hatch and use a quick disconnect for power. It powers the fishfinder and GPS unit all day with power to spare.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Had the chance to test my transducer. I had tried the foam block with vaseline two outings without success.
I fabricated a cup from a 4" PVC flange, ground the bottom side to the shape of the V in the bottom of my kayak, then used goop to glue it in
I placed the transducer into it with a small amount of water prior to putting in. The transducer worked great. When I returned to take out I used a small towel to remove the water from the cup. At least for my needs I have a winner. I already had the hole drilled for the cables and don't necessarily want to use epoxy on the kayak.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I plan to drop it out of the ceiling of the garage in a couple of weeks. I'll take pics then. The transducer is tucked nicely against the hull and doesn't collect weeds or debris. Basically, I flattened one end of some PVC pipe (1/2" I think) in a vise and drilled a 1/4 clearance hole. Then I routed the wire thru the pipe and attached the transducer with some stainless steel hardware. I then shoved it thru the scupper hole and glued a PVC 90 degree fitting in place. I dry fit everything to make sure it was snug before gluing. The excess wire was coiled up and put in the front hatch. It works much better than the first several setups I tried.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.