NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I would spend the money on a permanent rail . Drill holes to mount it or have it welded in place.
The rail is going to allow you to move the transducer to "tune" it in and to mount other devices without directly attaching to the boat multiple times. A piece of plate aluminum 1/2" thick would be great. You could weld or bolt it directly to the hull or stand it off for through bolting rather than tapping threads.

Never be afraid to drill a hole in a boat. A boat is a tool. Just use the proper materials for holing below the waterline which pretty much negates shopping Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, and likely BassPro.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know this has been discussed before, but maybe one more time for me. Was trying to figure out how to mount a transducer on my aluminum jon boat without drilling holes. Has anyone ever used this http://www.basspro.com/Stern-Saver-Transducer-Mounting-System/product/1411010627028/. Seems kind of expensive, but if it works.
I can vouch for the stern saver. It's on the back of my bass boat right now. I didn't want to put holes in my boat so this was my alternative. $50 might seem expensive. But it includes the plate and the gel epoxy to secure it to the boat. With out the epoxy you'd be forced to use 3M 5200 which is very expensive.

It's been on my boat and in the water a handful of times so far with no signs of moving. Grab it if you can.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Its a piece of kitchen cutting board material and some epoxy. I think I can home make something like that cheaper but for quick and easy it looks nice.

Reactions: satguy and BigE818

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have an aluminum jon and was worried about drilling holes but went ahead with it anyhow, mainly because they guy I bought it from had done it. It was fine, no leaks. Not sure how long that epoxied board will hold maybe it will maybe it won't.

If you choose to drill, when you put the screw in put some adhesive sealant on the threads to help seal it up nice and tight. 3M 4200 marine epoxy is the best but hard to find.

In fact, if you decide to glue a board on the 4200 marine epoxy will probably work best. That stuff is simply amazing when it comes to glueing stuff in a wet environment. I've used it to fix water hoses and various other water related things that spring leaks since I have it around after working on my boat :D

Reactions: satguy

·
Registered
247 Posts
I rigged up a removable bracket similar but simpler that the Cabelas item above. I simply hang it over the stern when the boat is in the water.. Permanent did not work for me because I sometimes store my jon on the ground or drag it to and from the water.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
the suction cup mounts work ok. Wet it before you stick it on or cheat a little like I did in the past and put some 100% bathtub silicone on the cup then stick it on. It will still come off later but has to be persuaded to do so.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Below the waterline use 5200 not 4200. 5200 is considered permanent, 4200 semi permanent.
4200 would be used as a bedding compound for attachments topside.
The 3M products are never more than 2 days away with the luxury of internet shopping.
You are far more likely to find the various colors that are available online rather than on a store shelf.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain
Road surface Grass Asphalt Plant Wood
Decided to go homemade. Used a piece of PVC board (free) my brother-in-law had left over from a home improvement job and some 3m 5200 ($15.99) and a little green paint (already had). Beats $49.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.