NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the safest most affordable way to transport my kayak. I have a F-150 SuperCrew. It sticks out off the tailgate more than I'd like. I'm looking into a truck bed extender tomorrow as they seem reasonably priced.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
A buddy here on the board may speak up, but he had the cheap HF one and ended up having trouble with it. He got a T Bone bed extender instead and loves that. How long is your boat, what boat is it and how much hangs off? Generally speaking you can have a good third of most boats hanging off without any issue (lots of caveats). Look at the racks on small to midsize cars; they often only support the middle third or less. For some reason it bugs us more when it is only hanging out at one end.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I bought a new F-150 last year and one reason I didn't get the crew cab is specifically for hauling things. I wanted the longer bed. That being said, I still don't think there'd be a conflict hauling a yak. Run a good ratchet strap or something just as strong/reliable through the front handle and attach it to either side of the bed's tie down points. Do the same for the rear handle of the yak. You'd have to pull the bed off the frame of the truck before it'd come out......just make sure the handles on the yak are secured properly and not loose. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You could buy a cheap utility trailer from Harbor Freight and modify it to carry the 'yak. That's what my first kayak came with when I bought it off Craigslist. Of course I just throw it in the back of the truck, but the bonus trailer is nice to use around the yard or if I need to haul a lawn mower or ATV.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I made my own bed extender. Two positions, one at bed height and one at top of bed + 3 1/2" for mounting the yaks on top of my box cover.
But I have a ride 135 and no problems just having in the back, Chevy, 2012, extended, 6 1/2' bed

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I am really happy with my T-Bone. Very high quality and made in NC. I use it for work as well as play. Personally I'd rather not have to crank straps down super tight on a plastic boat in the sun just to keep it from falling out. The T-Bone is lightweight and corrosion resistant and breaks down into two pieces so I can store it in the cab. Catch the Harbor Freight ones on sale and they are very affordable.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

I just bought a new truck and took my 14 ft kayak down to my brothers this weekend. Wake forest to jacksonville. No issues. One strap through the front handle and 2 straps from the rear Handel to the rear hooks in the bed to keep from walking left or right.
Btw that's a 6.5ft box for reference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.