NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a Sea Nymph 16'5" Bass Attacker. I was wondering if the winds around the area get to be a bit to much for a boat that size. I would assume it would do just fine in the waters but some advice and opinions of folks who have been on the rivers wouldn't hurt.

I have mainly stuck to the New River area but would like to start doing some fishing i havent done yet. Preferably striper fishing. Im originally from GA so most of the fishing up here is rather new to me. Any advice on anything with those rivers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
You will be fine on normal days. If the winds start getting up back out closer to the ramps and find sheltered waters to fish. The Neuse in that area is about 1 mile or so across and can get to white capping like the ocean if the winds get high. You will see lots of jonboats in the 12 foot and up size in these areas. Don't make long runs to other creeks, find ramps that are close to the areas you want to fish.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far i have only been able to look up one or maybe two ramps that are public ramps online. And since i have no clue where to go to fish not really sure what ramps i should even use. But i suppose that will come with time. Thanks though

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
google "Lawson Creek Park" there in New Bern. There are 2 ramps in the park area. THe first is to the left when you enter the park and the other one, keep going straight thru and it will be in the back. You will be right there by the bridge going over the Trent River and can start fishing for stripers right there. You can stay on the Trent or shoot thru the basin and head to the Neuse. Lots of possibilities on either river.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Smithwick Rattlin Rogues, Rebels, white/chartreuse or smokey joe jerk shads, Rattle Traps and topwaters of Zarra Spooks walk the dog style baits should put some scales in the boat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well you could kind of say that... I ended up getting out there was doing fine and my outboard decided not to fire anylonger... so i trolled about a mile back which was interesting. So ive got some work to do on it now the plugs arent getting any spark but its not he spark. its something before it gets there... so maybe another day once this is fixed ill get out there again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is a ramp at union point, right beside the comfort suites, glenburnie park also in new bern near hatteras yachts . Fish the railroad trestles and bridges, and there is a artificial reef off duck creek . I usually use soft baits and 18s during the day and 17s in the early morning and late adfternoon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.