NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently heard that my favorite bass lake will not open this spring because of the drought. so am on the lookout for new spots, esp. in the burlington / mebane / graham area. anyone familiar with resources there?

am interested in the following - but open to other suggestions as well:

graham-mebane reservoir (AKA quaker lake) -- looks like a great spot, heard great things about it.

lake michael: have fished it with some luck; more like a big pond than a lake.

stony creek reservoir: heard it may be a good kayak fishing destination.

lake mackintosh -- know nothing about it.

lake cammack -- no experience.

thanks for any info -- joel

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just looking at Google maps, looks like alot of water around. Sorry I dont know anything for that area though..

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Quaker Lake is pretty good. Wife's uncle pulled one out of there several years ago that was legitimately over 9 pounds.

Lake Mackintosh has a lot of good fish in it, especially in the "no gas" section towards the dam. Good points and some decent structure on that side. Gets more pressure these days that it used to, but is definately worth the drive.

No info on any of the other lakes.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have heard good things about University lake in Carrboro. They do not allow motorized craft, so it is a good place for kayaks. I will be fishing the lake a few times after it opens in March. I'll give a report. Hopefully, next year or the next I will have a place to keep my kayak with me at school and I will fish more.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OWASA will open university lake, but apparently not cane creek -- that hasn't been officially confirmed yet, though.

i do fish university lake, and caught a few decent fish out of it last year. it's just kinda small and i never caught the size and numbers of bass out of it as i did cane creek.

i'm also interested in butner lake just north of durham. i can't find that they have any info posted on the net. anyone know details about it?

thanks -- joel

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yak4fish -- thanks, i hoped you'd find this thread. for kayak fishing, stony creek looks very promising -- hope to check it out real soon. direct link to hrs: Burlington, NC - Official Website

it's only open fri, sat & sunday -- currently only 8-5, but soon they have extended hrs (posted below).

// joel
March 2nd-March 11th
8:00am- 5:00pm
March 12th-March 31st
7:00am-6:30pm
April 1st-April 29th
7:00am-7:30pm
April 30th-Sept. 9th
6:30am-7:30pm

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I don't go coastal this weekend I might try to go there instead, wanna go?. Funny, I used to live about 5 miles from it and never went.. guess it was too close?
i just check with my domestic manager (ha!), and looks like either day (sat/sun) could work for me. let's keep an eye on the weather and decide as we get closer to the weekend? i think i prefer saturday, but doesn't matter that much.

// joel

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Philip: i didn't make it out to stony creek yesterday. just wimped out when i saw it was 35 degrees at 8am! did get out to a local pond about 3pm, though. managed to catch a couple of small bass on a chartreuse and white chatterbait. (haven't been a big chatterbait fan in the past, but it seemed liked a good choice for this shallow-water pond. would just sorta "slow roll" just off the bottom in very stained water. puts off good vibration, even when retrieved slowly.) spooked several bass in the shallow water as i walked along the bank, so that's definitely a good sign that the fish are changing gears with the seasonal shift to early spring.

will try again soon -- joel

·
Registered
597 Posts
Joel - Not to honk my horn but I ended up doing the right thing, by taking the damaged tree down, instead of fishing. As much as I wanted to go, I just couldn't get the scenario out of my head - that one of the kids or someone could end up smashed, because of my neglect.

We'll have to try it again. I'm watching the coastal weather as well as gas prices ($3.25) for this weekend.

Have a good week -Philip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.