NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to wake up early and check out Falls Lake. Put in at 0600 at Ledge Rock. Never been to the lake and judging by the sudden drop-offs and shoals, I really didn't mess with the open water so I stuck close to the shore and chased shad all day in the creekbeds with every crankbait I had to offer. Overall I caught 8 fish. 5 Largemouth. 2 White Bass...and what I think is a spotted bass? Wasn't sure. I took a few pics, The one I thought was a spot bled a little but I revived him pretty well and he seemed just fine. All the fish I caught were in 1-10 feet of water, using everything from a square bill, Strike King KVD XD5, Scatter Rap, and a Bomber A Model...all with the shad colors, water was from 79-85. Good luck everyone!!

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Of the pictures posted, none look obviously identifiable as a spot. The 4th picture was the only one I had a question about, and it's hard to tell but I think the jaw angle looks like it's probably behind the eye on that one. For me the best way to tell is close their mouth and look where the angle of the jaw lies. If it's not behind the eye, it's a spot, and if it is, it's a largemouth.

Nice haul, that's a great result for a first time to a lake!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also saw a what I think was a bald eagle grabbing a carp. I never saw such a thing in my life. The bird darn near went under to grab this fish and flew away with ease...I didn't know there was bald eagles in this area...it was way too big to be anything else.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Plenty of eagles on all the local lakes. I got to thinking about how amazing eagles and ospreys are. Think how difficult it would be to grab an unrestrained fish out of the water, then to spot it and swoop with precision from the air and grab it more often than not.

Falls is awfully good to first timers. I remember my first time ever fishing there I has a 7-3, 6-11, and a 4 lber before 10 AM.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Agreed, bald eagles are not as rare as they were when I was a kid, which is great to see. I have seen a pair on every lake I've fished with any regularity at some point or another - Randleman, Badin, High Point City, a county lake out towards RDU, etc. Also have learned that juvenile balds don't have the characteristic plumage of the adult, for the first 2 to 3 years. They look like a dappled brown and dark gray as young birds, and the giveaway is their size and head shape - too big to be a hawk, and bigger than an osprey with a larger head forward of the shoulders than an osprey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.