NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday afternoon chummed the area with caned sweet corn, had a sweet corn rig, saw Carp swimming, looked like a busy highway, but no takers. Tried for the of the Gar in the area, but no luck there either. Tied on a small Pop-R, saw the swirl, and BAM, 7 lbs per my Boca Grip. Looked like it was nearing its life cycle. It was brownish and swam away slowly. Couple more Bass on top water.

Any tips for the Grass Carp?

Sorry about the crummy photo, but I'll blame the camera person!

Water Sky Lake Boat Travel

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thats a pig of a bass! Congrats on the fish. Carp will drive you absolutely crazy. I have never gone after them with sweet corn/conventional tackle, my quest is to land one on a fly rod. I was out today and missed two of them. They drive me absolutely nuts! Yet, I continue to target them over and over. By summers end, I WILL land a carp on a fly rod.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a pig of a bass! Congrats on the fish. Carp will drive you absolutely crazy. I have never gone after them with sweet corn/conventional tackle, my quest is to land one on a fly rod. I was out today and missed two of them. They drive me absolutely nuts! Yet, I continue to target them over and over. By summers end, I WILL land a carp on a fly rod.
What fly are you throwing? Water at Sutton is Ginn Clear. No problems seeing them and being close, but dang they just cruised around.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What fly are you throwing? Water at Sutton is Ginn Clear. No problems seeing them and being close, but dang they just cruised around.
Today I was throwing leech patterns, McTages trouser worm, John Montanas hybrid carp worm, and generic nymph patterns. Unfortunately for me, most carp water around Raleigh is pretty muddy, 6-8 inches of visibility.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Best baits for grass carp for me have been bread and believe it or not... grass. The pond I fished growing up was loaded with grass carp, it was a small lake in a subdivision with a path around it. When the landscapers would come to cut the grass, those carp would go crazy eating whatever grass clippings ended up in the lake. I caught fish up to 30 lbs on the fescue under my feet. I would fish a cork with about 2 ft of line below it with a #4 gold hook and 1 or 2 blades of grass making sure the grass would sink before throwing it out.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I also read about Cherry Tomatoes?
So do you mix and roll the grass into the bread? I would be afraid that a #4 hook would pull out with a good size Carp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.