NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
So that's a bowfin, huh? Somebody suggested to CoachKinsey that might be what we've seen slashing around when we paddle around the Farrington Point bridge on Jordan... Haven't managed to catch the attention of one, but I've seen 'em jump every time I've been out there. (A whopping twice.)

Lefty

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
<chuckle> I checked out the "fish facts" database on ncangler.com and read up on bowfin. Turns out the best bait to use for them is nothing. Odd, I was trolling a bunch of that both times I was out there... :D

Randy, how does that database get populated? Can folks contribute data somehow?

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
It gets populated as I have time. :p If anyone has information on a particular species please send it to me and I'll add it as time allows. I'm hoping to hire one of my sons this summer to work on populating the data. It took awhile to get what we have in there but there is obviously much more to add over time. Thanks for your patience! Only so much I can do nights/weekends. :)

lefty said:
<chuckle> I checked out the "fish facts" database on ncangler.com and read up on bowfin. Turns out the best bait to use for them is nothing. Odd, I was trolling a bunch of that both times I was out there... :D
Randy, how does that database get populated? Can folks contribute data somehow?

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the funny thing I have never caught one but the last two fishing trips I have gone on we have caught 3. they have some nasty looking teeth so you surely wouldn't want to kiss one :D. and they put up a big fight also you think you have a whale. Each time we caught one it was off the bottom with some live or cut bait, I think they will eat anything you would use to catch a catfish.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
baitandfly said:
they have some nasty looking teeth so you surely wouldn't want to kiss one :D.
Lucky for me I just ordered a lip-gripper.

baitandfly said:
and they put up a big fight also you think you have a whale.
Perfect.

baitandfly said:
Each time we caught one it was off the bottom with some live or cut bait, I think they will eat anything you would use to catch a catfish.
The bottom? So much for watching 'em jump.. Oddly enough, it was watching them jump that made me switch from a plastic minnow to a spinner jig -- I figured if they were jumping, I wanted something to attract some attention. That was when I caught the catfish.

Go figure.
:)

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They seem to be very voracious eaters so they probably would chase bait fish up off they edge until they jump out of the water. Twice when they bit they did the ol' gator death roll and got tangled in the line

·
Registered
52 Posts
They are voracious eaters. I've only caught a few, but they do fight like crazy. They do their death rolls and break lines and bend hooks. I had a ranger tell me they have the strongest jaws, pound for pound, of any fish--so keep fingers clear. I've caught them on creature baits while bass fishing. I have heard they eat cutbait, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.