NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put trim tabs on my Triumph 195DC. My boat is 20' long and has deep v hull and runs a 150 HP Yamaha 4 stroke. It gets up on plane fairly quick with 2 people on board. Still the bow feels a little high at 1/2 throttle so I think the trim tabs will help that. Also the boat list to the left slightly no matter where people sit.

Wouldnt trim tabs fix these problems? I was looking at several options and wanted to ask your opinions. The Bennets are hydrolic and the Lenco tabs are electric. What would you use?

There is another tab they call automatic by Nauticus that uses a gas filled shock and it is adjusted automaticly depending on water speed. There are no controls. Anyone use or know of these. They are much less expensive but I wonder if they would correct the listing problem.

Thanks for your input, Roger

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Topsail. Any idea why the boat would list to one side no matter where you seat people? It was a very uncomfortable feeling.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Get the tabs. I have Bennetts on both my boats, but supposedly the Lencos are good as well and you don't need a spot for the hydraulic pump.

They will correct any listing and lower the bow, use them sparingly to get the effect you want, especially when first starting out. Make sure whoever installs them knows what they are doing, that roplene does not hold screws very well, so they need to do a very good job attaching the tabs and you need to get in the habit of checking them as part of your post boating day to make sure they are not pulling out.

As to your list, could be engine torque or possibly the weight of the battery. If the livewell is not centered, it could be that too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I was thinking obout the screw problem and I am considering longer screws with adhesive added, then keep watch. I think I am going with the Lencos for budget reasons. The battery is centered so I dought that is the list problem and the live well was empty so I think it might be the tork. Either way I am sure the trim tabs will correct it. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Toggle Bolts are a great solution with Roplene and very easy to install. You can get stainless steel ones from Dick Cabble over at Merritt Marine in Hillsborough. Give Dick a call and he can answer any question about Triumph Boats, trim tabs, etc. Great folks over there. They are my boat dealer. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good idea. I just need to look and make sure the area is open for toggles. I mean the tabs mount low on the transom and I was thinking that it might not be above the bottom layer of the keel... I dont know if that makes sense... What I am thinking is that the wall of the transom and the keel meet at the bottom edge then will I be above the roplene of the keel so a toggle will work or will I be drilling into solid roplene parallal with the bottom of the boat? ?? I will have to wait till I go home to look and see the clearance there.

That will be a foamed area so how do you get the foam out of the way sa the toggle will open?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have Lenco tabs and so far so good. They correct any listing when it occurs on my boat, and they will definitely help to keep the bow lower. Most importantly they will smooth out the ride substantially in choppy seas! I wouldn't have a boat without them. As far as the boat listing to the left, how much fuel do you keep in her? Some times the fuel will roll to one side of a partially filled tank. Just a possibility to consider.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was about 1/2 tank to 1/4 tank so that is a possibility. Wife is all for the tabs now too. She said she thought she was causing the list until we switched places and it was the same. She smiled and said she now feels better... LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.