NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a NC forum but thought some of you would be interested in this trip report I posted on riversmallies.com

My two buddies and I headed to VA last weekend for some fishin, bs'ing and a little drinking! Several folks from the [email protected] listserve have gotten together for the past 9 years at the Natural River CG for a gathering called BassClave. This make 7 years for me attending and this was the slowest the fishing has been.

Fished the James on Saturday from Iron Gate to Gala. River was brown and flowing from the rains Cindy left behind. We caught fish but just not the numbers we have grown use to catching. Of course we were fishing top water poppers and slider, may have done better with some tubes and cranks. But this is a flyfishing group so I was there to flyfish, and I very seldom spin fish anyway.

Fished the James on Sunday also. Floated from Narrow Passage (Cap't Jack's ramp) to Buchanan. Of course we saw more people on this stretch but still only a few during the float. We did get to see one incredible young lady in a canoe showing off for us!!
Which is always nice!! Again we landed fish, one fish in the 18" range but for the most part it was slow going. Enough of this we were heading somewhere else.

Back to camp for a quick shower, loaded our gear and headed south on 81. Got to Radford around 10 pm stopped to check the New. It was clear, well not Nolichucky clear but clear enough. A quick night's sleep at the Executive Motel in Radford and then to the water Monday monring. Floated a beautiful stretch of the New and did well. Had one fish landed over 21" and several other good solid smallies. Again all on top water poppers.

Headed into Christensburg for dinner on Monday night and decided to stay around another day for a short float on Tuesday. Figured out a float and then headed to the take out to check it out... saw a guide boat getting ready. Then off to the put in and then again another guide boat getting ready. Finally on the water and around the first bend, another guide boat. Man we were stepping all over the local guide's toes. Not sure who they were but if any of you are ready this we didn't mean to get in your way! Tried our best to stay out of their way but as a guide I know how fustrating it can be to have clients on the water and then two rafts come down drinking beer and having a good time can be. Ended up taking out around 1pm with several fish landed, only one over 16" though.

Overall it was a great trip, lots of laughs, caught some fish, explored some new water and relaxed for a few days. Now back home and my home waters are muddy and high!

So if you see a double trailer loaded with Aire rafts (one green and one purple) heading towards your put in, it's just me and my buddies checking out your favorite fishing spot!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Onthefly

Have you (or anyone else) ever fished along the Blue Ridge Parkway? My wife and I drove it last weekend on the way back from business in Blacksburg. We had never been on it before and I wanted to look for trout water since you can use a NC or VA license. I talked to a ranger and he told me about a spot called Rock Castle Gorge and Rock Castle Creek. It sounds like it has some native brook trout in upper stretches and stocked fish downstream. From the pictures I've found it looks like some very small streams. I just wondered if anyone had any comments.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm from NC and fish around the Blue Ridge parkway often but I'm not that familar with the VA section. I'm sure that it crosses many great streams in VA but just don't know enough about them. Now if you want to talk about streams here in NC around the BRPW I can help there but in VA I'm useless.

I did some digging through some old files I have from my wnctrout.com days and here's what I found on BRPW streams.

License

Fishing without a valid state fishing license issued by either Virginia or North Carolina is prohibited. (A license issued by
either state is valid on all Parkway waters. No special trout stamp or license required.) A North Carolina resident may
fish Parkway waters within his or her county of residence using natural bait without a fishing license except in special and
closed waters, as designated below. Natural bait is any bait that may be beneficially digested by fish.

Season

The fishing season and hours shall conform to those established by the State except that fishing is prohibited one-half hour
after sunset until one-half hour before sunrise on all Parkway waters.

Creel and Size Limits

In general waters, creel and size limits shall conform to those established by the State. Limits for "Special Waters" are
posted at each lake shore or stream bank.

[size=+1]Special Waters[/size] "Special Waters" in North Carolina are:

Trout Lake
Upper Boone Fork (upstream from Price Lake)
Lower Boone Fork
Cold Prong Branch
Laurel Creek
Sims Pond and Creek
Camp Creek

"Special Waters" in Virginia are:

Mill Creek
Abbott Lake
Little Stoney Creek
Otter Lake and Creek
Rock Castle Creek
Little Rock Castle Creek
Chestnut Creek

Other Waters

All trout caught in Chestnut Creek and Lower Boone Creek must be released.
Fishing is not permitted from the dam at Price Lake, from the footbridge in the Price Park picnic area, or from the James
River Bridge.
Bee Tree Creek, a tributary of Boone Fork, is closed for research purpose.

[size=+1]Bait Lures[/size] General Waters:

The possession or use of live or dead fish, amphibians, or nonpreserved fish eggs is prohibited while on or along any
Parkway water.
Digging for natural bait on Parkway land is prohibiited.
Use of bait, other than listed above, on waters classified as "General Waters" shall conform to regulations established by
the State.

Special Waters:

The possession or use as bait of insects, worms, live or dead fish or fish parts, or other organic bait is prohibited while
adjacent to, on, or in streams or lakes classified as "Special Waters."

North Carolina

Fishing lures are limited to single-hook artificial lures in all "Special Waters" with the following exceptions: in Basin Creek
and its tributaries and Lower Boone Fork from Price Lake Dam downstream to the Parkway boundary, the use of lures
other than single-hook artificial flies is prohibited.

Virginia:

Fishing lures are limited to single-hook artificial lures.

That's all I could find, hope this helps!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Scott, thanks for the information. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. There is a campground and also a backcountry site near Rock Castle Gorge. If the fishing isn't the greatest, at least I'll be out in the woods. I'll report on this area when I get back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
rock castle creek in a very small creek, most places less then 8 feet across, with a lot of 1 foot falls and swift water.
The stocked section most likely be a waste of time in the summer. You will have to hike about 1/2 mile of more to a primitive camping area, you have to get a permit ahead of time to use this campground.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I made it up to the Blue Ridge Parkway over the weekend. I camped and fished and had a relaxing time. I fished Rock Castle Creek along the trail through the gorge. It was very nice scenery and I caught some brook trout. The largest was about 8 inches and from what I was told they are native. I am not sure though, maybe someone on here knows for sure. I also fished down stream near rt. 678. The creek got a little slower and flatter there and that section is stocked Oct to June. I managed a fat 13-14 inch rainbow there. I spent about 4 hours there before heading back to NC to fish. It is a very small stream with a lot of falls and tree limbs to deal with. I only saw one other angler and he was in the parking lot. All in all, not a bad trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.