NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Randy (NC Angler) and I fished in the Triumph Owner's Tournament at Southport yesterday. Randy owns a 215 Chaos model which is a pleasure to fish from. I think there was about 18 or 20 boats in the tournament with 2 divisions, Flounder and Kings. we fished the KMT event with about 8 or 9 other boats I think.

Neither one of us is familiar with the waters down there but we boned up a little beforehand and headed out at 5:3OAM with high hopes.

Well to make a long story short, we finished second! We had to run from a huge thunderstorm on the way back, heading east and north to get around it then back west. I sure am glad Randy has radar on his boat, it allowed us to assess the storm and get around it. I praise the Lord for delivering us!

Sorry no pictures (but we will give out autographs :rolleyes:) as we had that storm to worry about then had to race to the weigh-in that was inland a few miles. Besides it wasn't the biggest fish Randy & I have caught :( but hey it did land us in second place, so no complaints.

Best part of the tournament is that half the proceeds went to charity. The charity for this event was the Baptist Children's homes in NC. Several of the boys from one of the homes, as well as the directors came and shared with the group at the awards banquet. It's truly a worthy cause as they are helping our youth and families in distress!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
That is awesome Mike! Way to go Randy and Mike in helping a worthy cause while having fun!

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
It wasn't a large king but it was a WHOLE king! :p Thanks to Mike for fishing the tournament with me. Mike brought all the rigs, the bait and the GPS numbers and game plan. All I had to do was show up with the boat! ;)

Saturday was a beautiful day on the water prior to those late afternoon storms and today as I was towing the boat home the ocean looked like a lake! One of the other Triumph owners in the tournament boated a 65lb. Wahoo. I'll try to get a picture of that one to post.

It was great to be a part of raising some funds ($2230.25) for a great organization. Cameron Boys Camp is a part of the Baptist Children's Homes of NC and is a great organization helping families in crisis.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Here are a couple of photos of the 65 lb. Wahoo caught by Capt. Adam and the crew of the "AFISHANADO" out of Chesapeake City, Maryland. They are assisted in getting the fish off the boat by two campers from Cameron Boys Camp, this year's Triumph Owners Tournament charity organization. Way to go guys!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man, what a wahoo!
Here's the story:

He hits the prop wash bait (dead ballyhoo) in 80' of water 20 miles from the beach. Then proceeds to crash through their spread wrecking four lines and finally wraps around the motor. They gaffed him while he was tangled and pulled him into the boat. What an improbable catch - but a wonderful one for sure!

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
The guys must have been panicking for sure when he tore thru the spread then tangled in the motor. Amazing that he didn't get cut off. Mike, I think they were trolling a cigar minnow on the prop wash line.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.