NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Trolling battery wouldn't take a charge.....decided to replace it....

Replaced it and was about to drop the boat in the water and go fishin.....decided to just test the trolling motor to make sure it works....nope, nada, nothin. No juice.

Looked back at the battery and noticed that the inline fuse was severely corroded, to the point that the nuts literally crumbled when I tried to take them off with a wrench.

There in lay the problem....can't get that corroded dead fuse module off....means I can't go fishin....

So I did what any aspiring (stupid) fisherman would do....I cut the dang cable right behind the fuse, skinned the wire, curled it around the post, and tightened the nut down on it lol

Don't tell me how close I came to frying the trolling motor, I don't wanna know. It worked for an afternoon of fishing 馃槀

I took it off when I put the boat back on the lift and just left the charger leads on the battery to charge it back up. Sourcing a new inline fuse tonight and will put it on when it comes in.

QUESTION: What gauge is trolling battery cable?

Registered

Replaced it and was about to drop the boat in the water and go fishin.....decided to just test the trolling motor to make sure it works....nope, nada, nothin. No juice.

Looked back at the battery and noticed that the inline fuse was severely corroded, to the point that the nuts literally crumbled when I tried to take them off with a wrench.

There in lay the problem....can't get that corroded dead fuse module off....means I can't go fishin....

So I did what any aspiring (stupid) fisherman would do....I cut the dang cable right behind the fuse, skinned the wire, curled it around the post, and tightened the nut down on it lol

Don't tell me how close I came to frying the trolling motor, I don't wanna know. It worked for an afternoon of fishing 馃槀

I took it off when I put the boat back on the lift and just left the charger leads on the battery to charge it back up. Sourcing a new inline fuse tonight and will put it on when it comes in.

Can be anywhere from 4 to 10 gauge depending on whether you are running a 12 volt or 24 volt system, and the length of the wire between the battery (or batteries) and the trolling motor. If you do a Google search for

Registered
I am not sure what happened above鈥擨 tried to post last night but it instead got inserted into the original post. Trolling motor wire gauge can be anywhere between 4 and 10 gauge, depending on a number of factors, like whether you are running a 12 volt or 24 volt system, the length of the wire between TM and battery, and the wattage/volt requirements of your TM. There is a lot of info on the internet about this, so a Google search should help you piece together what you need for your setup. I have always had good results with residential Romex in 6 gauge, but your needs may be different.

Registered
No burn on the cables? I'm fighting electric glitches on the boat and my barn. Maddening!

If I did patch it up to fish I would leave the hatch open. Battery explosion is not good for your health. X 10 on the water!

I would rewire from the battery, replace it all. You can buy automobile fuse holders. Solder them in line and use good heat shrink to finish all the solder joints. It sounds like a huge job but it's not once everything is laid out. Flux makes it that much easier. Hint: put heat shrink on cables BEFORE you Solder!

It could have been MUCH WORSE.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts