NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys troll for rock? Thought I'd give it a try to mix things up a bit and try and cover more ground. I don't have a trolling motor but a buddy said you can find rock even while trolling with your engine because they aren't as "spooky" as trout.

What techniques and lures do you use? Do I need to use a popping cork?

I gave it a try yesterday and got a surprise on a rattlin' rogue. Guess I know I had the bait close to the bottom. Is that where you want to troll the bait or higher in the water column? I'd prefer higher to make snags less likely.

That was a fat keeper flounder but I gave it back, it was late in the day and my only keeper. I did find another 17" rock later while casting, also released. I was fishing a creek east of Washington.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Cotton Cordell Redfins, Fast track Shad from Rebel, XR10 Rapala and assorted lures. We have trolled regular crankbaits that you normally cast for bass. Fish the water column where the fish are at. Shallow if feeding close to top an deep if the baitfish is down deep.

Troll along the drop off lines, edge of stump fields, near pilling of bridges, even open water if the fish are busting bait. Have assorted lures to cover the conditions.

Use your gas motor and just bump it in gear. Weave and bob, not just straight lines.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody. Hope to give it a try Sunday, weather dependent

I was running just in gear on a Yamaha 115. Probably too fast? I'll try bumping in and out of gear next time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do well at 2.5-3 mph in freshwater. DT10s and DT16s, bucktails and spoon double rigs, Strike king 5 and 6xd, xraps, bomber A, youzuri crystal minnow, stretch 25s, smaller umbrella rigs with white plastics and some chartreuse.....around 5-25ft deep till I figure out what they want.

weave back and forth, not quite in a straight line, makes them speed up on one side and drop on the other, helps triggers bites.

All that said, hard to beat live bait and jigging this time of year...and keep a rod ready for surfacing fish-I usually have a trap, spoon or a fluke on.

Luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bomber Long A deep (it will have "24A" stamped on the tail of the bait). Tackle shops want $8+ for them, but they're under $6 each on Amazon. I troll at about 2.5 mph with a 115 2-stroke and the stripers don't seem to mind. Even picked up a 23" drum. The big stripers will destroy the hooks and split rings on these baits. I swap them out with decent split rings and VMC black nickel 4x strong #4 trebles before they ever hit the water. The further behind the boat you run them, the deeper they will go. Mine usually bump bottom if I hit 10 feet of water. Steep ledges and drop-offs are the key for me. Troll with one eye glued to the sonar so you can follow the ledge. I can usually see the fish on the sonar and call a strike before it happens.

Reactions: drumchaser

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I have a place or 2 that has a underwater ridge at about 9 foot deep, it has 15 to 20 foot around it. As I troll over the ridge you can see the rods bounce from the shallow water and as the lure passes the ridge bouncing, it will plummet down into deep water and if the stripers are there, they will bust it wide open.

So you can go from shallow to deep or deep to shallow bouncing lures and making erratic moves of the bait.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a place or 2 that has a underwater ridge at about 9 foot deep, it has 15 to 20 foot around it. As I troll over the ridge you can see the rods bounce from the shallow water and as the lure passes the ridge bouncing, it will plummet down into deep water and if the stripers are there, they will bust it wide open.
sounds just like my favorite spot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.