NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll be heading out on a week long sailing trip in the next month, and I'm hoping some of you could share some advise on what I need to do to hook up with some fish. Weather depending, we'll be sailing out of Carolina Beach, to the Gulf Stream, up to Chesapeake Bay, and then back down to CB near the coast.

I'm not an experienced off-shore fisherman... so I've been doing what people in my shoes do... read, a lot. I'm hoping to catch some fish, and considering it's a weeklong trip, I'm sure I'll hook up with something, even if it's through the "Grace of God," or "Dumb Irish Luck."

I'm somewhat confident in what set-ups I'll need. I'm not going for anything huge, for a couple of reasons, mostly around safety.

I could use specific advise about the following:
-How to ensure I don't hook up with anything huge.
-What speed range to troll at, or, how do I figure out what speed the lure I'm using is designed for (I have some used trolling lures that don't have anything on them).
-General strategies for hooking up offshore
-Locations, reports, etc.
-Feel free to call me names but I'm doing it anyways, so any help would be great!
-Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
There is no way to ensure you won't hook up with something huge. Sometimes big fish take small lures and sometimes they eat the small fish that take the small lures and then get hooked. You want a set up that will lose as little as possible if you break off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have gone on several deliveries in the past by sail and filled coolers every time.
For 90% of what you may catch a good old 6/0 penn will foot the bill. Even a 4/0.
Spool it up with 60# test. Bring a bl/wh Islander, ceder plug daisy chain, green machines, some green/yellow feather chrome head Zuker type lures, some dolphin candy type, and pull 'em.

Don't worry about "what speed to pull 'em". Whatever speed yer going, that's the speed yer pullin. See what looks "the best" and put it in the water. Hose clamp 2 pieces of PVC to the rails, stick em in, clicker on. Don't try more than 2.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
penn 4/0 on a boat rod spooled with 25# or a 6/0 spooled w/40# would be good bets if you're on a seriously light budget. Preferably a couple TLD25s come to mind. basic boat rods will be sufficient don't need anything too crazy. Pirate Plugs with cigar minnows or ballyhoo are good all around rigs to be trolling out there because they're so versatile and easy to properly rig. could pull a green machine or chugger or daisy chain up on top as well. No way to ensure you don't hook a behemoth but in general fishing those kinds of rigs you will be catching mahi and maybe a king or wayward wahoo this time of year. I like to pull those types of bait somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5 knots but a little different either way isnt the end of the world

1 - 4 of 4 Posts