NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
what are you using to recharge them? How many amps? Deep cycles need to be charged slowly on low amp chargers or it overheats the plates in them and damages them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
last time it happened it had 0 volts (havent checked this time) the charger is an internal one that charges both trollilng motor batteries and the cranking battery. i have blown threw three batteries in the past month

G

·
Have you checked to see if your charger is frying them?
My dad had one of those chargers that you leave plugged up all the time. Something went screwy inside and it didn't shut off like it was supposed to when the battery was charged, so it basically cooked the battery.

If you've been thru three, then it obviously isn't just a bad battery. The odds of getting three bad ones in a row is like astronomically huge.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If the 0 V is on this battery it is shot. Are your charger leads fused? Checking water levels? Voltage during charge and off? Got a Breaker popped? Same battery position each time? Get that multimeter out. Sounds like you're gonna need it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you checked to see if your charger is frying them?
My dad had one of those chargers that you leave plugged up all the time. Something went screwy inside and it didn't shut off like it was supposed to when the battery was charged, so it basically cooked the battery.

If you've been thru three, then it obviously isn't just a bad battery. The odds of getting three bad ones in a row is like astronomically huge.
How would i check to see if the charger is frying them? I have a 3 bank charger and it is only effecting the middle battery on the charger which just so happens to be the most forward battery. My battery layout is like this charger is in the console along with the cranking which is hooked up to the first lead of the charger then there are two batteries in the forward storage area connected the the 2nd and 3rd leads. There is a 1-2-all switch in the rear to turn them on. The trolling motor batteries are 24DC walmart specials. That is all I know about the system as of yet. Any help would be appriciated.

Here is the batteries i have:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Group-Size-24DC-Marine-Battery/20531540

·
Registered
876 Posts
Check out the K2 lithiums. They are supposed to last about 10 years, plus the weigh about 13 pounds. They aren't cheap, but the weight savings and the ability to be recharged a couple of thousand times may be worth the difference in price. If you have "blown" three in last month, I would suspect charger has gone to the weeds. Try what the others say in their posts, and hopefully that will pinpoint the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Check out the K2 lithiums. They are supposed to last about 10 years, plus the weigh about 13 pounds. They aren't cheap, but the weight savings and the ability to be recharged a couple of thousand times may be worth the difference in price. If you have "blown" three in last month, I would suspect charger has gone to the weeds. Try what the others say in their posts, and hopefully that will pinpoint the problem. Good luck.
Where do you see a K2 battery capable of use in a trolling motor application? Biggest 12 or 24 vdc battery I see is 9.6 amp-hr, about one tenth of the capacity of most good deep cycle batteries.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
They aren't rated the same a lead batteries. They will run all day, with no drop off. Word of caution. When they are dead, your t-motor just stops. There is no warning. No constant drop in power as with lead batteries. I was in 20 foot bass boat other day and we used the trolling motor exclusively, due to motor problem. The batteries ran us from daylight to almost 2 pm on trolling motor alone. That's an 80 pound thrust Minn Kota running 24 volt system, with 2 people and full tournament load. That's pretty stout, imo. Did I mention they weigh about 13 pounds each? What do lead batteries weigh? 60 to 75? That's at least a 100 pounds weight savings. They aren't for everybody. I can't afford them, nor do I need to replace my batteries just now. But they will run you all day.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The are physically about the same size, but the weight is amazing. Walk down to the dock holding one in each hand and watch the reactions. People will look at you like you are the Hulk! The newer series are 48 amp hours.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.