NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17 foot McKee Craft that I am looking at putting a trolling motor on. My question is what type of trolling motor, how much lbs. of thrust, and a 12 or 24 volt. Any thing else that I might have forgotten, I am going to use it in salt water.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Minn Kota is very serviceable locally. Well made. I would not go smaller than 55lb but 70lb or more is best, definitely 24v. The biggest you can afford will have a long life if it isn't overworked. Smaller ones will be run harder, thus more wear. our member "Pamlico Tackle" (Minnesott Beach bait and tackle) is clearing out some Whitesnakes, don't know their service situation now, but the 2 I have had worked well, I just didn't have them long enough to see long term how they do.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Go with a Minn Kota in 80 pound thrust. I personally prefer wireless, and the I Pilot is an awesome addition to have though not necessary. Some like a tiller steer over a wireless due to responsiveness, but once you get used to the remote they are amazing. I can run the trolling motor from anywhere in the boat. That means I can put two people up on the bow fishing and I can stand in the back of the boat and fish if need be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.