NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trolling motor mount keeps coming lose. The previous owner drilled 1/2" diameter holes in the bow of the boat. The Minn Kota trolling motor uses 1/4" bolts for mounting. The play in the size difference is causing my trolling motor to move around a lot more than it should. I used SS bolts, lock nuts, and washers to get this thing as tight as I could, but it still has play after just a few trips on the water.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
6,373 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Bronze-SAE-841-Sleeve-Bearing-3FJF9?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/3FJF5_AS01?$smthumb$

You can sand/grind it down to the thickness needed since the shortest I found was 1/2" long. Or you could get some washers that are 1/2" on the inside and stack them to get everything flush, preferably on the inside so the trolling motor won't be perched up on some washers.
I was looking for one with a flange on it but didn't find one quickly so I gave up.

Do you not have enough meat on the trolling motor mount to just drill it out to 1/2" and use 1/2" bolts?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you want to plug them, buy some Marine-Tex epoxy. I have used it with great result. Once it hardens just drill to proper size and use oversized washer. Comes in white or grey I believe.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The isolator bolts were originally installed. I have a Minn Kota so the bolts have to be a 1/4" thick for the mount.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I really appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Marine tex is a fiberglass boaters best friend

If you want to plug them, buy some Marine-Tex epoxy. I have used it with great result. Once it hardens just drill to proper size and use oversized washer. Comes in white or grey I believe.
Totally concur. I have owned seven different fiberglass boats and have filled a zillion holes where I messed up or previous owner went crazy with a drill. Largest was 3/4 inch. I put tape on the botton/back side of the hole and fill it with MarineTex. Tape allows you to totally fill the hole without gobbing up under the repair.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Should be enough, you have to mix the 2 parts together at a ratio(don't remember what it is). I have plugged about 20 holes in my ocean boat and still have 2/3 left in the 14oz. Website says a 2oz will cover 17sq in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.