NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my many years of fishing (granted I am still a youngin' to most), I started looking over my trolling motor and observing other boats on the water this weekend. I started to think about upgrading my trolling motor and possibly going from foot control to wireless or hand control. Having been a bass fisherman most my life until chasing rockfish, trout, flounder, and drum, I never have had a problem with a foot control. What type do you prefer and why?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If money is no object wireless ipilot is the best hands down..

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
If money is no object wireless ipilot is the best hands down..
If I had to do it all over again I would skip the ipilot and just get the copilot. I rarely ever use the anchor lock feature of my ipilot and have yet to actually record a track. I turn her on and use the copilot and that's it. The remote is huge (though they do have a small aftermarket remote available now for an extra $100).

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you can afford the I-Pilot link, it is a wonderful feature to have. I love the Follow the Contour feature and it literally drives the boat itself. I've fished for crappie twice and love it. I use cruise control with the Contour feature to keep a consistent speed.

In fishing bay or river water down East, there is a feature to let you do an off-set from the contour line. I would think you could select the shoreline and then make the offset at 25' or so. You could set the speed at .7 or 1 mph, giving you plenty of time to plug the shoreline. Be interesting if anyone else has used this feature in salt water.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Foot control is good, keeps your hands free, but is not the best for saltwater when it gets rough and is really set up for having your butt on a bass seat. This is what I used on my bass boat.

Hand control is obviously the quickest and most intuitive, but requires a hand and close proximity to the motor, probably is the most reliable. Have this on my bay boat and is probably the best bang for the buck.

Remote control (ipilot) has tons of features, can be anywhere in the boat, but I find the control difficult at times (I have only used one for a short time), and still takes one of your hands to control. Reliability has been an issue, everyone I know who has one has had either a circuit board go or the steering gear strip, but think they are much better now. I will be getting one soon, with my hand control as a back up.

Still looking for the one that works by me just thinking about where I want to go.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I have used all 3 styles, hand control, foot control and copilot, all have some good features. I like the most responsive to me and that is the hand control. As soon as you move it or turn the handle it moves and turns as you need it. Foot control is nice in calm water but if it gets up its hard to stand on the pedal and fish. The remote control takes a little to get use to but is pretty neat, with lots of features.

Getting more and more use to the remote control, right now I still like the hand control better.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Co-pilot remote control, is what I have. You can wear it around your neck or place it on a rod handle ( will need additional remotes for this application. ).... ICM

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Its getting better, maybe after next weeks fishing trip on the lower Neuse, I will have it under control.....:)

Right now on my boat I have a hand control, gonna have to save for anything else, fixin to go into the RETIREMENT mode in about 4 weeks.... 22 August to be exact....:) Then another week on the lower Neuse... last week of August.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
If I had to do it all over again I would skip the ipilot and just get the copilot. I rarely ever use the anchor lock feature of my ipilot and have yet to actually record a track. I turn her on and use the copilot and that's it. The remote is huge (though they do have a small aftermarket remote available now for an extra $100).
Man, I had the opposite reaction! I originally had the Co-Pilot (didn't have autopilot) and ended up getting the IPilot within a year. The I pilot has absolutely changed my fishing experience. The ability to hit "spot lock" when you break off and need to re-tie without getting blown into the bank is worth its weight in gold. I never use my anchor anymore, though the spot lock can wander some times (I have heard that the MotorGuide Xi5 is better about that). One of the features I absolutely love is the auto pilot - being able to tell the boat to head to a certain point is invaluable and keeps your hands on the reel instead of constantly having to adjust the trolling motor. When my son snags up on a stump, being able to point the TM at the snag, then keep on fishing while the boat moves towards it is really nice!

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my many years of fishing (granted I am still a youngin' to most), I started looking over my trolling motor and observing other boats on the water this weekend. I started to think about upgrading my trolling motor and possibly going from foot control to wireless or hand control. Having been a bass fisherman most my life until chasing rockfish, trout, flounder, and drum, I never have had a problem with a foot control. What type do you prefer and why?

You can add a foot control to an I-pilot for around $100. I think it would be a big seller if the next "big" improvement was a hand control/I-pilot combo w/ an optional foot control add on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I-Pilot Link does have the ability to chart your own course. You can set up a series of waypoints and have the trolling motor follow the line you created. I have not used it yet, but have seen it on Youtube. Here's a video explaining how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lr1iMqCxTU

One thing about all the remote trolling motors is strong winds are a killer. Most of what I do is crappie fishing by either long-lining or tight-lining multiple rods. As long as the rods are at least two feet apart, having the wind create an S-pattern is actually helpful. This may not be the case while plugging along the shoreline wanting to keep a consistent speed and distance from shore. But guys, one thing is for sure, having the electronics run the boat while you concentrate on fishing is sure a nice thing to have. I'm hoping to get down to the saltwater soon and check it out.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have a co-pilot and it is nice to work from anywhere on the boat. But...most of the time I am at the front anyway and grabbing a handle would probably be just as easy or easier. If....I were you and I went with a wireless I would get the I-Pilot for the anchor feature. If you are in shallow water all the time then a power pole is great, but if you fish deep water creeks then you must have the anchor feature on the I-Pilot to hold you in place during those windy days or strong currents, while you catch fish!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.