NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I took my son out in our canoe, I brought along our usually reliable Minn Kota trolling motor, but it was clearly struggling to function normally. I finally took off the prop today and found that the seal behind the prop had leaked and water had gotten into the motor. The shaft will still turn, but everything appears rusted behind the prop. Can the trolling motor be cleaned / saved or is it not worth the trouble? Appreciate any input y’all have.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Honestly not worth the trouble. You can get the seal kit on Amazon/Ebay cheap, likewise for a brush kit which that I'd highly recommend replacing while you're at it, But depending on how long it's been crudded up the chances are good connections on the armature are doomed to fail and that's something you don't want to bother with.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Google "MinnKota trolling motor repair" for videos and sources for a new set of guts for your troller. You can get a replacement that is kind of "plug and play" from Amazon and do it yourself if you are reasonably handy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
MinnKota 800-227-6433

Ask for service. With their patient help over the phone I was able to find which motor parts needed ordering and later how to install them when I ran into difficulty after contacting the same dept. A few years later I ordered a speed control from them and the tm works like new.

An Incredible company !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts