NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents keep a 17' open bow Bonito in bath creek that I use to fish the area. It's the best kind of boat- someone else's.

It's got a deep v hull and is quite heavy for the length.

I need a trolling motor in the worst way and know absolutely nothing about them. Can any of you recommend a good model for this type of boat? I expect I'll need something with quite a bit of horsepower to move this boat around?

Finally, is mounting it in the front of the boat an option without drilling holes- some type of clamp I hope?

Thanks in advance

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I am not looking at your boat so I don't know how your gunnels are built so cant offer much as far as mounting advice. Every manufacturer has their own version of a "quick mount" that allows you to remove the whole unit when you want it out of the way so it is less of an obstruction for pleasure boating. Here is an example. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Moto...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=00001820&rid=20
You also need to consider where and how you will mount the new battery or batteries for the troller. Do not try to run a trolling motor on your only starting battery, that's bad news waiting to happen. For occasional use, I wouldn't worry about getting the "optimum" size and would stick to a 12v rather than a 24v for ease of mounting and maintaining batteries. Price plays a big role in your final decision as well. How much are you willing to spend on the motor, batteries, wiring, mounting parts and if you cant install it, labor total?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sundrop, the boat is what I call an "open bow" with seating up front in a crescent shape around the front of the boat. It's far from a fishing machine (did I mention someone else owns/maintains it? ;-) )

The bow is far from ideal for mounting as there is little flat space due to a decorative rail that runs around the front.

With regards to price, I truly have no idea how much these things cost, so I guess I need to start with some online pricing.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
OH its a walk thru windshield, style. Yeah not a lot of room to work this on those. The trick I did on my old walk thru was a transom mount motor with the foot turned around (easy to do so it pushes/pulls in the right direction for bow mounting) and had it on a piece of angle iron that I would strap across the bow cleats and let hang off one side to mount the motor on. I used pvc pipe to extend the handle on the trolling motor. Looked cheesy but got the job done. I could just slide the motor up and down rather than lay it back because of my rail. Later I did better but it was my boat so I could hack on it. A 45lb thrust 12v would do for what you have in mind w/o breaking the bank. Usually some around used. I used a 36lb on mine for a long time and unless I was out in heavy wind it did fine. Put a single battery in a battery box and bungee it to the pass seat base when using it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.