NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a saltwater specific trolling motor worth an extra $150 or more dollars for a boat that will be in salt less than 5 times a year?

These are the two bow mounted models I'm contemplating for my 13' Boston Whaler.

Riptide 55

Edge 45

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I wouldnt spend extra for using it in salt only a few days a year, frequent use in salt I would. Replacement parts are pretty inexpensive and trolling motors arent real hard to work on. I am not sure about them being able to tell if it was used in saltwater, I dont see any way to tell or prove that it was used in salt.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I used old freshwater trollers in salt a lot. Wipe it down with a spray wax, silicone spray, or even PB Blaster/WD 40 before you go and rinse it well after. The damage comes more from sitting with the salt dried on it and in all the little cracks and crevices. Saltwater motors if you notice are more paint and powdercoat to protect the surfaces. Some additional protection for circuitry. Not worth the money for an occasional trip to me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the opinions. I've always used a freshwater motor in the salt in the past also, but this is the first time I'm dropping the money on a nicer bow mounted model so I want it to last. I've always just ghetto rigged a sub $150 transom mount motor in the past.

The white motor sure would look better on my boat :)
Plant Plant community Boat Watercraft Wood

A friend of mine bought trolling motors in years past from Boater's World with some kind of unlimited warranty plan. Has anyone else done this? I think I recall him getting quite a few replacements.

We were drifting the Cape Fear River once around Town Creek on a strong moving tide and his Minn Kota hung on a steel pipe. As the motor shaft (which was ironically labeled "INDESTRUCTIBLE SHAFT" in prominent letters) slowly bent up under the hull of the boat, it was followed by what sounded like a shotgun, and when we raised the motor it was discovered the Minn Kota shaft was not indestructible after all. :)

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
If I was gonna slap something on that nice of a boat I would want it to be white. But that's just me... if $150 will make or break it then I don't think using a freshwater troller in the salt a few times a year would be a deal breaker either

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Could always shop around used. Guys upgrade trollers all the time and hand control ones are plentiful used.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Not sure if this is even worth mentioning, but I have had very good luck with the Water Snake trolling motor. I never heard of this until one day while visiting Jimmy's Marine I saw these mounted on several of their boats. While pricing I noticed that the equivalent trolling motor was roughly $140.00 less than a MK/MG so I figured I would try one out.
So far I have been pleased with it and I really use mine a lot. It's also very quiet but you do have to grease one bushing out of the box or it will squeak.
http://watersnakeusa.com/motors/bow/ambush.html

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I didn't get to use mine much but I loved my 80lb Watersnake on my 21ft seapro. Saved tons of money too buying it on Amazon.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think occasional use is ok (except for the warranty considerations).

From what I understand, there are two main differences between the salt/fresh trolling motors:

1) The bottom and upper units on the motor are sealed up better on the saltwater models

2) The nut holding the prop on - the saltwater motors have a zinc-based nut, which then doubles as an anti-corrosion anode. The freshwater ones don't have zinc. I've read about guys making that cheap replacement, but again, I doubt very occasional use would be that big a deal.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Breadman had a Watersnake, I had one and a few others around here. Pamlico Tackle (Capt Dave Stewart @, Minnesott bait and tackle) sold them for awhile too. Breadman was rough on his gigging I am sure. I don't know that I would go all out for one of their fancy models but for a basic hand controlled I would.

Reactions: pgarick
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.