NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good trolling motor- stern mounted- for pushing a 15 foot boat with 3 people around a 300 acre lake that requires electric only?

Or should I just break out the oars or paddles?

Thanks

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Jon boat? Canoe? I guess since it is a lake there is little current?

Minn Kota | Endura Minn Kota has rebates on Enduras right now...... 36 will move it but the bigger the better. Keep in mind 12v/24v/36v will decide how many batteries you carry....

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
on a lil ole jon boat.. any 12 volt stern troller will move it pretty good.. there is NO need for a 24 volt troller on a lil jon boat..it would plane out with a troller that big..

i use a 52 pound thrust 12 volt on my stratos bass boat. i can fish all day in a stiff wind and it is still going strong..

12 volt is a single battery.
24 volt is two 12 volt batteries hooked in a gang rig
36 volt is three batteries hooked up in a gang rig..

now there is a ton of differant ways to rig between the batteries..most boat manafacture using a 36 volt set up use two deep cycle troller batteries and have the crank battery worked into the rig..ok so a battery takes a dump you are forced to REPLACE all of them at the same time..

zooker

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'd say stick with a 12v then you can carry 2 batteries only for the extra run time. 40lb thrust or better and you'll be fine with a sleek boat like a Gheenoe. I'd opt if money allows for the highest thrust 12v you can afford and tiller types are often for sale used so shop around....

eBay Motors: Minn Kota 55LB CAMOUFLAGE Trolling Motor 36" Shaft (item 290218369238 end time Apr-07-08 18:36:27 PDT)
Here ya go. IT'll look good on that Gheenoe!

a little smaller but a great price that'll do the job!NEW BASS PRO PROWLER 45LB 36''SHAFT TROLLING MOTOR MINN - eBay (item 370039280609 end time Apr-13-08 10:02:08 PDT)

Reactions: gambusia

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
You can usually get a transom mount, 12V, 46 pound thrust for about 200 bucks. These motors usually have 5 speed forward and a couple of reverse speeds. Minn kota and Motor Guide both off something in this range.

Now a nice battery and battery charger and you'll be set.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is a trolling motor enough to push three people around on a 300 acre lake?

One of the lakes I fish (bank only right now) allows only electric motors.

I'd like to boat fish it as well

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

Sure, just plan you launch as near the areas you want to fish as possible. Take advantage of winds when you can ( to your stern) and you are only limited by the amount and quality of batteries......

Reactions: gambusia

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Just left WalMart in Kinston..

Motor Guide
46lb thrust, 12v..........$200

This is a good motor strong and plenty of torque to get you around.

These motors are designed to give optimum performance and save on battery power. You are not using full speed all the time and going from 2-3 power for moving while fishing.

The only time you should be using full power is from point A to the fishing area, then use low power, cutting it on and off as needed. The battery if fully charged will take you a lot farther than you think it will.

Just be sure of the wind. If it is windy head into the wind fishing, that way if the battery dies you can drift back safely with a paddle to the ramp.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
12 volt is a single battery.
24 volt is two 12 volt batteries hooked in a gang rig
36 volt is three batteries hooked up in a gang rig..
I guess "gang rig" means "in series"...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Minn Kota has an awesome rebate right now on Endura transom mount trollers... No matter where you buy the motor new.....

·
Registered
46 Posts

Julian?

My 30pd thrust motor, $99 Wal-Mart special, pushes my 14ft V hull around it just fine. A strong wind slows me a bit heading into it, but I make it there fine.

·
Registered
941 Posts
You can also get a hoot foot button for it and use it like a foot control on/off. Then all you have to do is steer it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.