NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey when trolling under power for striper, what speed do most of you troll? I cant find any discussion on trolling speeds. Other speeds for other species of fish welcomed also for fresh or salt water fishing. Thanks, Guys!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Fireman - I moved your post from the Kayak forum thread to the general fishing forum as it seems to be more about power boat fishing in both salt and fresh water.

I don't troll for striper but here's some others:

King Mackerel - Live Bait = barely moving - just enough to keep lines tight, usually bump in and out of gear; Dead bait = 2-3 knots

Spanish Mackerel (lures) - 5-8 knots

Atlantic Bonito (lures) - 6-8 knots

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I was looking for. Thanks. I have never striper fished by trolling and thought I would give it a try. I am trying to gather info on how so every little bit helps. I still need to find a guide on Lake Wylie or Norman to show me how so I wont be guessing. Thanks again, Roger

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I gotta book with you Hotspot so I can see first hand how it is done. I hope I can do well without a downrigger. I dont think the wife will let me drill it into my boat. Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Using leadcore line will get you down where you need to be to catch stripers trolling without a downrigger. I was introduced to this alternative by Striper-Sniper and HOT SPOT. They really know striper fishing for sure. HOT SPOT, do you have an illustration of a typical spread that you would run in the fall/winter on Jordan? Thank you for sharing this great information. ;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have had pretty good luck anywhere between 1.5 and 3 mph, staying mostly about 2.5 to 2.7 mph. This is trolling lures, no idea if live bait would survive trolling at that speed or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.