NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished every morning the last 3 days. Staying away from the crowd and fishing about 100 yards off the bank. First day was 3 keeper trout, next was only 1 and this morning was 3 again. Tons of blues and a few small trout mixed in though. No reds.

My question is where do the trout go after 8 am? All fish have come before then. After that point I can't buy a strike, no matter what I throw at them. I have caught trout in the middle of the day before, but it was during the winter and cloudy. Do they move deep? I'd like to keep fishing (and hopefully catching) past 8 am. This is upper new river as well so it mostly sandy flats with a few drop offs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Depends on the water temp I think. I feel like trout don't like the heat as much as reds do so they seek cooler depths. My experience is limited but that's my opinion. I think trout have better eyesight too and the bright sun may effect them also.
You also have to consider how the wind changes once the sun is up. In areas with no tide this is the only "tide" that they sense and will move as the bait move. I try to fish shorelines and structure with the wind to my back if I am staying shallow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have dealing with the same thing in the New River lately, we do well early on the trout but when it hits up they are gone. After they quit biting we usually just work the banks for reds.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Lol no. Trout will feed all day if they want, but they have great eyesight compared to other inshore species. They bite much better in low light conditions, regardless. Especially for a topwater bite.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts