NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thousand trout made a long swim from the hatchery near Bervard NC to the John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center located across from Lake Rim in Fayetteville, NC. The distance was so long that they were assisted in their journey by one of the NCWRC stocking trucks.

We received a good mix of Rainbows, Brook and Brown Trout. The average size was 10-12 inches, but some brought raised eyebrows and ooohhs and aaawwws with estimates of 16-18 inches.

The welcoming committee included the JEPFEC staff, and several volunteers who assist with fly fishing clinics.

In addition to the fly fishing clinics which have become an annual event at the JEPFEC, the facility recently partnered with Womack Army Medical Center and a fly fishing group from Pinehurst to host several fishing events for the Wounded Warrior Program. A few of the wounded warriors were on hand to assist with the transfer of trout from the truck to two specially prepared one acre ponds.

Ms. Connie Moralez-Piper, Program Assistant for the Warrior Transition Battalion pitched right in to help.

That's all folks. The tanks are empty and we now have 500 trout in each pond just waiting to test the skill of Fly Fishing Clinic participants and the Wounded Warrior Program over the few several months.

The trout's arrival means that the fly fishing clinics are right around the corner. The old building we worked out of for the past several years has been torn down and replaced with a state of the art facility. With the completion of the new building we look forward to offering more programs and having another great year of fishing.

The Fly Fishing Clinic schedule for 2008 looks like this; (All clinics start at 9am and end at 3pm)

Beginner Clinic
January 12th
January 26th
February 2nd

Advanced Clinic
February 16th

Boy Scouts Weekend
March 1st
March 15th (only if necessary)

Warm Water Clinic
June TBA

All clinics are limited to the first 40 participants - Preregistration is required. Have your friends, associates or anyone who expresses an interest, call Lake Rim Parks @ (910) 424-6134 They must register in advance. No pay at the door allowed. They can use a credit card or cash to reserve a spot - only $5 so it is a steal and we also furnish coffee, sodas and donuts. Can't beat that.

Al Kittredge
Volunteer Coordinator
NCWRC JEPFEC

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Boy Scouts must harvest a few and clean their catch as part of their Merit Badge requirements. Because the BS events are the end of the season we usually allow them to take home a stringer full for their families to enjoy.

The remainder are scooped out, placed on ice and donated to one of the local "soup kitchens" for those in need.

Nothing goes to waste.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
For those of you out of towners interested in enrolling in this. I called today and they told me that you can register and pay for your slot by using a credit card. Just wanting to help anyone who wants to come and is not sure how they'd register without coming down.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I'm going to the one on the 26th now for sure. I have a rod and reel combo rated at 6 weight. Is this good for this type of clinic?? What type of leader do I need to put on??

·
Registered
42 Posts
A 6 weight is typically a little too heavy for trout but it will work perfectly fine, especially using larger sinking flies like wooly buggers and streamers. You should use a tapered leader the same length as your rod in 2x-4x strength.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Ok. I'll just try to use one fo the ones they have at the clinic I guess. I just mainly want to see how stuff is done and fish mainly for panfish and bass.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you 6wt is a good quality rod it will probably serve you better then the ones we have which came from one of those blister pack outfits at Walmart.

We have upgraded the lines but they are still not the best quality - we are now looking into obtaining new rods for next year but for forty rods you are looking at a lot of $$$.

Bottom line - bring your 6wt, if ours are better, use ours, if not, use yours. However, if yours does not have a DT or WF line on the reel, leave it home.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Not sure what it has on it honestly. Its an eagle claw rod and reel combo that was given to me years ago when I was trying to learn how to mess with it. Was getting better with it but since starting over I haven't been able to get the touch back. I'll leave it at home and get it in shape for fly fishing later on. I don't care about the quality rod I just want to learn. :DThanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
However, if yours does not have a DT or WF line on the reel, leave it home.
-warning, ignorance ahead!

This may not be the post for shaking the rust off my fly fishing vocabulary, but I've got to ask, if only for the benefit of others...

WF = weight forward? (larger/heavier at the end)
DT = D<something> Tapered?

:confused:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
-warning, ignorance ahead!

This may not be the post for shaking the rust off my fly fishing vocabulary, but I've got to ask, if only for the benefit of others...

WF = weight forward? (larger/heavier at the end)
DT = D<something> Tapered?

:confused:
I should have seen that one coming - sorry. I forget that we have folks whom are new to the sport.

You are right:

WF (weight forward) is the most common line used today. Normally has a short taper(10-12ft) on business end, thickens back up for 20 feet and then tapers back down and runs for 50+ feet with small running line. The fat or thick portion of line is what carries the leader and fly. Real good for long distance casts

DT (double taper) has 10-12ft tapered section on both ends, 65+ fat section in middle. DT line in my opinion is easier to roll cast and some folks say it is more delicate in presentation. You will not get as long a distance with a DT. DT has added advantage of when one end becomes worn or cracked, you can simply reverse it and presto, you have a new line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.