NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be heading to the NC mtns this weekend to show the family the leaves and all, along with several thousand others. Weather may be a detterent.

But, can anyone give a trout fishing report? I will be wading and really don't know many of the rivers and streams that offer great fly rod fishing.

Any help is appreciated.

trader...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks topsail. I prefer a larger body of water rather than a very small mtn stream. just trying to get the clearance i need with the fly. roll cast i enjoy but i rather open it up if at all possible. i supposed the best way to get the local information is to hire a guide for a half day. experience is everything in fishin.

tradervick...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
May be heading to the NC mtns this weekend to show the family the leaves and all, along with several thousand others. Weather may be a detterent.

But, can anyone give a trout fishing report? I will be wading and really don't know many of the rivers and streams that offer great fly rod fishing.

Any help is appreciated.

trader...
What area are you going to? For the most part, fall is my favorite time in the creeks.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Waynesville area. Thanks for your help!
Lots of native and single hook creeks around there. The Tuckasegee delayed harvest is close by. Not real familiar really with Waynesville. There are some nice creeks within driving distance. Sorry, not much help. Talk to some locals and visit the bait shops and outfitters.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tradervick, If you like large bodies of water check out the Tuck, near Sylva (spelling doesn't look right??). But keep in mind it's a tailrace which means they will generate water and you need to know the generation schedule. I have a link on my site that will help Western North Carolina Tailrace / River Info Page

Good luck and btw pheasant tail nymphs have been doing the trick!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx onthefly. i will certainly try the tuck near Sylvia. i've been a long time salt water and fresh water fisherman. as far as trout fishing in the mtns, I was fortunate to spend a week in July near Cherokee fishing streams in the GSM's and the Oconoluftee in Cherokee. It was near heaven to me. I knew one day the bug would bite me and it has. I made some of the nicest presentations in some of the nicest water with a few rainbows caught then released. i can fish all day and not have a bite...just casting in such a place is enough for me. but, i would like to land a few in the bigger category. I have a lifetime to learn the tricks. like all fishing, it takes time and patience. a guide would speed up my learning process and show me some places to fish. I think the places i tried before had been fished many times at least that is what the locals told me. I think that trying the tuck or south halston this time of year would also yield better results. thx again for your suggestions.

trader...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.