NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may already know, I am a 5th grade teacher. This is my 8th year in the classroom at F. D. Jack Kiser Intermediate School in Lincolnton, NC. At Kiser Intermediate I lead my students in citizen science programs such as Project Monarch Watch, Nest Watch, and the Great Backyard Bird Count. I currently maintain three fresh water aquariums in my classroom and work with fellow staff members and students to maintain a large courtyard with a pond and native flower garden. It has been my goal as a teacher to give my students experiences that they can take with them the rest of their lives.

Earlier this year I attended a STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) conference in Charlotte, NC where I meet Dana Hershey from Trout Unlimited. Mr. Hershey shared with me information about Trout in the Classroom. After discussing the program with him and the things we already have going on at my school and in my classroom we decided that the program would be a good fit for my class. The program cost a total of about $2,000 in material but Trout Unlimited only requires $500 from the school to get started and covers the rest. Once paid for, the materials and project can be done again and again for no additional charges to the school.

At this point I currently have two local business and a local aquarium club donating to the project but I am currently in need of $200 more dollars to participate. It looks like I need to let Mr. Hershey know if I am going to be participating by June 1st. If you are willing and able to donate please send me a private message or email me at my school email ([email protected]) to work out the details.

School Website
http://kiser.lincoln.k12.nc.us/

Please see the link bellow for more information in the program.

http://www.rockyrivertu.org/trout-in-the-classroom.html

Trout Unlimited Contact:

Charles Dana Hershey

Thank you for your time!
Doug Clark

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool Tom! Our fish would go into S. Mt. State Park. Our students already take a field trip out there so it would give us another opportunity go out there and get into the stream. The rangers do a what's in the stream lesson where the students get in the stream and net out aquatic insects. I think it will really help my students understand aquatic ecosystems. They don't go tromping through the local streams for fun like I did growing up. Makes a world of difference!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.