NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I want the DMF to know immediately so they will close the season. This last great year of fishing was partially due to the closing last year and it gives survivors more time to spawn.

·
Registered
571 Posts
As was the case with this thread, DMF will be the first to know about anything that I see. I'll fill you guys in after I contact them.
Yup
I want the DMF to know immediately so they will close the season. This last great year of fishing was partially due to the closing last year and it gives survivors more time to spawn.
Good deal

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trout kill report

WHY????? Would we want to do that. You work for DMF

I agree that DMF should be the 1st to know. Just wanted to know what's going on, when and where, etc. Last year on the Pungo we took a prettty bad hit, and the trout really did not show in any decent numbers until late fall. If there is a number or link where I can get the info directly from DMF, please share.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Just wondering, as I am a newly to the trout, how do you know this.? How do you know that its not just the high end of a cycle?
In all honesty and in the simplest of answers we don't know for certain. What I do know is that the year following both of the last two closures (2011 and 2014) the fishing was better than average. It could be coincidental, but my "speculation" is that the closure was a large contributing factor.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just wondering, as I am a newly to the trout, how do you know this.? How do you know that its not just the high end of a cycle?
Hard to tell for sure. But its kind of hard to argue that it doesnt help in some form. Common sense says that if no one is allowed to catch fish for a while (during the spawn as well) that more fish will survive and it will help numbers. There is going to be more fish in the water down the road if you stop people from catching them now. Pretty easy formula.

Even if it doesnt help as much as we might think it certainly isnt hurting anything to close the season for a while when we have these cold kills.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Hard to tell for sure. But its kind of hard to argue that it doesnt help in some form. Common sense says that if no one is allowed to catch fish for a while (during the spawn as well) that more fish will survive and it will help numbers. There is going to be more fish in the water down the road if you stop people from catching them now. Pretty easy formula.

Even if it doesnt help as much as we might think it certainly isnt hurting anything to close the season for a while when we have these cold kills.
Helps down the road. Yes. Maybe NC should do what Fl does, but that would be opening a can of worms for sure.

·
Banned
193 Posts
In all honesty and in the simplest of answers we don't know for certain. What I do know is that the year following both of the last two closures (2011 and 2014) the fishing was better than average. It could be coincidental, but my "speculation" is that the closure was a large contributing factor.
This is good to know as I am still learning this game. Thanks for the education

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not too many people on here are willing to go rod around on a boat in 20 degree weather just to see dead trout. Therefore there aren't any posts on this thread that say where any dead fish are.
I was actually thinking of driving down from Raleigh this weekend to check the Pungo to do just that. I am really curious as i am not local. Just can't make it this weekend.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.