NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably be around Wrightsville beach and vicinity tomorrow. Also a chance of being in the Carolina Beach area. Thought I,d focus on some inshore trout fishing from the boat if the chances of catching a few are reasonably decent. Anybody trout fish in these locations? Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated especially pertaining to these areas and whether its worthwhile giving it a try.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll probably be around Wrightsville beach and vicinity tomorrow. Also a chance of being in the Carolina Beach area. Thought I,d focus on some inshore trout fishing from the boat if the chances of catching a few are reasonably decent. Anybody trout fish in these locations? Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated especially pertaining to these areas and whether its worthwhile giving it a try.
Change of plans! Looks like thursday is the day! We'll probably end up going offshore if the weathermans call is accurate. Still curious about trout for those inshore fishing days.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Mike should be able to help ya out there Al, up behind Topsail would be my guess.
Anywhere around oyster beds, grasses would be a good bet with a live shrimp, shrimp under a poppin cork, gulp shrimp....

Good luck and catch'm up!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heard the spanish are plentiful but small around the inlets. Last time we tried for spanish, we caught a few just off the beach. Man, they are some tasty critters! First time I cooked them up. We'll probably troll for spanish a while, and who knows what else. Thanks for the info on trout. Looks like a later date for them. Probably be better off with the cooler weather coming anyway.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Birdrigs with clarkspoons did the trick last time for spanish. As a matter of fact I utilized info on bird rigs from some previous posts. I think they were your posts. My wife caught her first spanish, she cooked them, and I ate them! Ummmm gooood!;)

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
There are a few trout now but not many yet. You are right Al, latter in the fall will be better. Drum and flounder are good back there now though. Spanish bite has been better early in the morning but you can still catch them at other times.

As Dave said bird rigs are great for Spanish but this time of year (hot water) you want to get some lures down deeper too - try those Yo-Zuri deep divers or a Clark spoon on a trolling weight.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Marine forecast for Thursday went sour overnight.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]TONIGHT...NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT
SEAS 4 TO 5 FT...EXCEPT AROUND 3 FT NEAR SHORE.
THU...NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.
THU NIGHT...E WINDS AROUND 10 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.[/SIZE][/FONT]

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Wont be able to make it Mike.. just not in the cards for me this weekend.

Might of been Al, I know Mike and I discussed some use of bird rig's sometime around the begining of the season. Good any info provided, was glad to help! And your right, Spanish are mighty tasty.. try'm on the grill sometime with a little lime... ;)

Here's one of our previous threads for Tarpon asking 'bout Bird rigs:
http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f4/bird-rig-spanish-3653.html

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
We are killing the specks from Seaview Pier floating live shrimp. Most of the action is in the a.m.. The action has been going for about two weeks on and off. The fish have been from 1lb to 5 lb, but most are in the 1-3lb range. My theory is, when they are on the beach like that, they have to be in the inlets. If you go flounder fishing around the inlet, you should do well. I had nineteen keeper fish yesterday. Nothing special though. The biggest was 41/2- 5 lbs, and the rest were average.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Bread Man 1

Thanks for the tip! I have'nt had a great deal of success catching flounder or trout. I think part of the problem is that I have rarely used live bait. I guess I'll have to start to practice throwing the old net. It seems the majority of times that I hear about someone catching a nice batch of fish, they used live bait along with their numerous fish catching skills.
Where is seaview pier?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.