NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
I hate the crowds on opening day, I usually go far far away form the local hot spots were they are shoulder to shoulder slinging worms. We fished Cheoah Lake last year on opening day and had a blast, didn't see another person for the first 4 1/2 hours on the water paddling around.. (and caught two massive trout) This year i'm going to be out of town and miss the opening day, sooo leave a few in the water for me when I return...

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
I despise crowds in general. One thing I like to do though is see how you stack up against other fisherman in terms of catching fish. Although when first stocked it's fairly easy catching.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
69 Posts
First time I've ever fished on opening day and it was an experience. I was expecting people, but stunned by the shear numbers. I spent over an hour driving around trying to come up with a good game plan. We ended up parking in places a long ways from the river and doing a lot of walking to get far away from the crowds. Took a while but finally started locating fish in fast water that others had no desire to fish. Found a couple of really nice runs that we kept pulling fish out from. My nephew caught his first brook trout and I caught quite a few little bows. I caught a very nice brown in really fast water (I have never caught one in fast water) and as I was netting it, take a header into the river. That's how my day ended ... take a mile walk back to the car completely soaked. Oh well. We actually had a fun time, but I'm not sure I'll ever do another opening day again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.