NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks , there are no secret trout places !! In our area we have the pamlico , pungo , bay , neuse , new , white oak , swanquarter , rose bay ,and germantown and all the many creeks off these bays and rivers . Guess what? There are trout in all of them and all you have to do is fish them and you will learn something new on each trip . I live in rocky mount so any of these places is 2 plus hours for me but if i lived ,say , close to bay river i would know all the place trout like to hang out and then that would be a "secret " . Do your homework and you will discover your own secret trout place .

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I am loath to say, especially online, that I found trout "off the second point on the right after passing the dock near the house with the red roof". On the other hand saying you caught trout in Vandemere is like saying "Look for a needle in a haystack".
Trout move, but may stick around for several days barring a drastic weather change. I'll keep specific spots close, especially if they are initially shared by a friend. May not be top secret classified, but who wants to fish the Cary BPS parking lot?

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I get out that way 2 or 3 times a year and I will ask for advice when I go and not pass on any info I have gathered from someone else. But even with the latest intel you still have to get out after the fish. I think that is one of Ray Wells keys to success he never quits fishing the whole time he is on the water.

Darrell

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am loath to say, especially online, that I found trout "off the second point on the right after passing the dock near the house with the red roof". On the other hand saying you caught trout in Vandemere is like saying "Look for a needle in a haystack".
Trout move, but may stick around for several days barring a drastic weather change. I'll keep specific spots close, especially if they are initially shared by a friend. May not be top secret classified, but who wants to fish the Cary BPS parking lot?
Hey if your going to BPS I wanna go lol

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I try to be discret about where I'm fishing and yes there are not many secret spots but, when a creek get blown up for having a good bite it is only a matter of time befor it gets to annoying to fish it. Not to mention some of those creeks are not very big and become crowed white a few boats, much less 20 or so showing up. If people were more curious like most of us on here it wouldn't be that horrible, but fact is there not. I love to explore and find fish on my own and its part of why I trout fish but a lot of people are so instant gratification these days that is out the door. Rather troll the net or ask guys out there hunting to get in on there piece of the pie they searched to find. I have a select few I trade info with and have made mistakes in the past and found ten boats sitting in a spot after telling a friend about a good bite. I won't be putting up specific creeks I'm fishing on the net or most times what river we are in. on that note, go get em. The fishing is getting good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can only discusss my personal experience. I fish mostly the Pungo and its tributaries, usually the lower portion of the river. This has been a very slow year on trout for me. Same with most of my usual fishing contacts. My old dependable "secret" places have just not produced, which has forced me to try alternate places further upriver, new baits, techniques, etc. I have learned alot, but still very few trout. Like many folks who are plagued by this thing called making a living, I dont get to pick my days, so maybe its just a run of bad timing. However, I can't help but wonder if the winter kill we had last year, which was very severe on the Pungo, has something to do with it. Most of the good reports I hear and read about are coming from the SQ area and the Neuse, but not much in the more western portions of the Pamlico. Of course these fish move around and all of this is antecdotal, but I wonder if some of the subpopulations are more localized than we know. Anyway, I'll be out there again this weekend with fresh optimism, and hopefully singing a different tune afterward.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I will say this from my learning curve thus far. When the water starts to cool down, I am shocked at where I have found trout. I took the advice of others and fished places not much more than drainage ditches and caught nice fish.. It has made me look at the water in a whole different way.. Those of us who cant get on the water often cant spend as much time hunting as some of you more successful fishermen. So we appreciate what info you are willing to share. I am careful to watch what info I am trusted with also...

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I agree that there aren't any secret spots and if you are fishing a place that you think is a secret you're in for a rude awakening. That said, I'm not going to do anything to invite any extra fishermen into my area. Let's all face it, as catmaster says "fishermen are funny". If you post up pictures of big pretty trout and include identifying marks or even worse a name of where you are fishing there will be more people that will consider fishing there on their next outing. How do I know this? Well because I used to be one of those people. Before I learned how to trout fish I would see fish being caught here or there and that's where I would go. More often than not, I still didn't catch anything. Over time I learned that fish could be caught all over and it was more important to learn how to find my own fish and discover what they are biting. Not only is it more rewarding, it is also more consistent in the catching department. I now snap pictures without any land marks and am extremely careful with who I give out information to in regards to location.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.