NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Very few are limited to Fly Rod only. You have to know the stream designation to find out the type of lure/bait requirements. http://www.ncwildlife.org/Learning/Species/Fish/Trout/TroutFishing.aspx for info and you can check the where to fish section of the same site to find the trout streams and their locations. Then be sure to check the diamonds on the trees and power poles.

Even on Fly Only waters I don't think it specifies what type of rod may be used, it is just much easier to fly fish with a flyrod. My knowledge of special reg waters is limited but the only streams that I know of that require a flyrod used is the pay per use stream in Stone Mountain park and the Trophy section on the Cherokee reservation.

Quite a drive from Greenville send me a PM before you come I might have some up to date info.

Darrell

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Quite a few folks use spinning rods on trout streams....light and ultralight outfits. As Darrell said, you have to be mindful of restrictions on bait or lures. Quite a few popular streams at this time of year specifiy single hook, artificials only....so a Mepps spinning lure with a treble hook would be illegal....unless you cut two of the barbs off or replaced the hook...

·
Registered
81 Posts
on the treble hook thing, i've wondered about modifying a small jerkbait to use in DH areas, because i like to experiment with lures from time to time (i just bought a couple hardbait poppers i'm gonna modify to see if i can get 'em to hit topwater. haven't tried that yet and don't expect much, but it'll be fun to give it a go).

anyway, emailed the ncwildlife folks this question in mid-september ...

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I want to make sure I understand things correctly. This pertains to certain trout fishing areas where the restrictions say "single hook only" ... Just looking for a little clarification with this specific scenario/example. I have a couple 3-inch hardbait lures with dual treble hooks that I want to try on trout. Can I replace both treble hooks with single hooks and be OK? Or would I have to completely remove one of the treble hooks and replace the other with a single hook?
and got this reply a few days later (they had to ask around to find the right person to answer the question) ...

Thank you for inquiring about the “single hook artificial lure only” designation. In the circumstance you describe below, you would need to remove both sets of hooks, leaving one slot empty, and replacing the other with a single hook. Leaving two single hooks would not be legal in this circumstance.
so there you go.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I carry a few small crankbaits with me, I put the single hook on the front spot and tie it up to the back spot. I was worried about fish throwing the hook because it is not free to pivot, but I have had no trouble with the few fish that I have caught using this rig.

Darrell

·
Registered
81 Posts
I carry a few small crankbaits with me, I put the single hook on the front spot and tie it up to the back spot. I was worried about fish throwing the hook because it is not free to pivot, but I have had no trouble with the few fish that I have caught using this rig.

Darrell
i wondered about which spot to use. so you recommend the forward spot? interesting. i'll try that first. what about for the topwater popper? for that, i'd probably want to use the back spot, right? maybe? theoretically they'd approach from behind the lure ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use a drop shot style hook on the back of my Rapala minnows and Salmo crankbaits. I have very good luck with both in the early fall through mid-winter. I change all hooks on both spinners and spoons to an octupus style because of how the eye and hook point are aligned. As for the popper it would need to be a very small bait, and even then i think there are better ways to go about topwater for trout.

Another system to try is a double jig rig. I use Leland Trout Magnets tied about 10-15" apart under an adjustable float. You need to use 4lb test flourocarbon and a long light rod. Cast across and up stream and let the baits float down current seams and into tailouts. Keep the baits floating without any drag and you'll do well. I use a hot attractor color (pink, red, yellow, chartruese)on the top jig and a natural color (black, brown, green, green pumpkin)on the bottom jig. these work extremely well on DH water becuase it looks just like the trout chow the fish were fed at the hatchery. On small streams it works better to use only one jig in a natural color and dip it in pocket water and along undercuts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
so, i tried out my topwater theory with a modified 2-inch popper on a wild stream. two things i know for sure ... 1. i had the wrong style of hook (a size 8 octopus). i tried the single hook both on the forward spot and back spot, switching up a couple times. never got a trout to stay hooked. (had to be the hook style and not the operator, right? maybe. i'm choosing to believe that for the moment. ha)

and, 2. holy crap, they loved it. i only had maybe 40 minutes before the sun went down when i decided to try, and had the whole popper taken under water at least six or seven times. and they smacked it so many times i lost count. they'd come flying in from all over the creek, like a musky bearing down on its target (so i hear. haven't caught a muskie yet). so. much. fun. freaking dinner bell.

but don't tell anyone. it'll be our little secret, ok?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.