NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Are you not worried that you used up all your lucky charms with that pair of beauties? I'm gonna take a not so wild guess that those fatties came from Lake Jocassee?

I don't know of any tourneys upcoming. I have not spoken with Scott for a couple of months. I don't know if he has any ambition to run tournaments like he did a few years back. Last time I spoke to him we were considering going to Apalachia Lake. Watauga Lake has been difficult this year, but when you catch a Laker they're usually decent sized. I took my nephew about a month ago. I got a nice 7.65 pounder. When it was his turn, I think he disobeyed me and started fooling with the drag and tangled and broke the braided line on a Dipsy Diver outfit. He's a bit loopy. I don't know if he's ever gonna make much of a fisherman. He might have had an even bigger one....??? I took my eyes off him because I had to keep the boat straight in the wind. Then it got too hot and humid for us to fish. I'm getting old and have health problems. I can't take much heat. I don't think I'll be able to do any tournaments unless, maybe if the weather is cool or I get off the lake by 11 a.m. or noon at very latest.

IMG_0707.JPG

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nantahala, I broke the spell. Mostly big fish and not very many. This past Saturday was my best day on the lake since the salmon. Seven hookups, five fish to the boat. Released the big brown trout. Kept three bows and a brown. Went to Watauga a couple weeks ago. One laker and eight rainbows.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I've only fished Nantahala once for Salmon. I didn't catch a Kokanee but I did catch a Rainbow and a couple of other fish on hoochies. I choose to leave before noon because tourists in speedboats were everywhere by 11 a.m. This one woman and her two kids in a giant speedboat came so close to my little fish'n'ski boat that a wave came over the rail. I was holding my dog and was ready to jump overboard.

Those sizable Trout suggest that the Herring are a wonderful thing for some fish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Fred, glad to see you are still trolling the lake. I haven't been up there in several years now. Those are some very nice trout. Did you check their stomachs? Hope they aren't fattening up on some fingerlings! Are the bluebacks as numerous as they were a few years ago?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Dr. OC, I think there may be fewer herring this year. I check the bellies all the time. Lots of herring but there maybe some fingerlings. Last year the rainbow flesh was red from zooplankton this year it is pale. Not a good sign. Lots of marks at eighty or so feet that maybe salmon. Have not caught one since 2016. The state stocked 80000. Hopefully they will be back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts