NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to give Swanquarter another go for trout this coming Monday (Nov. 8). Looks like the wind is going to lay over and be less than 10 knots out of the N/NW. Anybody have insights as to where the bigger specks are stacking up? The Blowout has been holding nice sized Grays but I have a hankering for some nice (18-20") specks to fillet for the frying pan... Suggestions??

Tight lines all!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We fished Swanquarter on Sunday, 14Nov2021. At the NC Wildlife ramp at Oyster Creek in Swanquarter at 0540 hrs. Air temp was 41 F at that time and rose to 62 by 1400 hrs.. Water temp 55 F, this never budged over the course of the day. Water clarity was exceptional with 3-4 ft visibility. Winds were initially out of the north/northwest at 3 to 5 knots but laid over to dead calm by 1200 hrs. Motored over to the Blowout where the current was moving at probably 2-4 knots and immediately began picking up numerous undersized Specks on Gulp 4" pearl white swimming mullets. Almost all were in the 12-13 inch range. Tried Mirrolures 4M but no takers. Looking for keepers we tried the Haulover and found nothing. Decided we were in too much water so we moved over to Shell Narrows going from 17' of water to about 8'....again nothing. Back to the Blowout and found plenty of shorties with one keeper. Talked with a couple of other people on the water and got the same story...plenty of shorties, no keepers. Interestingly, we didn't pick up a single Gray trout, not one! Fished these locations between 0600 and 1400 hrs and came away with one lonely trout. So it wasn't a great day for keepers but it was a perfect day to be on the water. Better luck next time...for anyone wanting to put me on keepers, DM me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Pecan Grove? I'm drawing a blank, that area isn't that familiar to me...

Just to update, I did some searching and found the location of pecan grove down near Swanquarter. I'm afraid I'm not able to fish that area as I may draft too much to fit. Anyone have a creek boat they want to share? I'll throw money into the tank!

·
Registered
137 Posts

Just to update, I did some searching and found the location of pecan grove down near Swanquarter. I'm afraid I'm not able to fish that area as I may draft too much to fit. Anyone have a creek boat they want to share? I'll throw money into the tank!
My depth finder shows 3-4 ft from ramp to end of canal. The motor has grounded out there, too. I have launched at Swanquart and driven around.

·
Registered
106 Posts

cbruce41, I was at Pecan Grove about 3 weeks or so ago during the 5 day Northeaster and didn’t have any issues getting a 24’ bay boat out of the canal. Just go slow with your motor jacked up and you shouldn’t have any issues. I wouldn’t go if the wind was Northwest and the water was down, but with a normal amount of water or high like I had during the Northeaster you should be good unless your boat drafts more than 2’. The lowest I remember marking on my depth sounder was 2.8‘ and that was just going away from the ramp as you start into the canal heading out, after that it was 3.5’ or more the rest of the way out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts