NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Trout, reds and flounder all stack up on the surf this time of year from the north to south border. Look for troughs and sloughs along the beach and sling 52MR's in your favorite colors.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Use to kill nice specks on the north end of Wrightsville from the surf with bait and wait finger mullet.
Well how do you approach the north end of WB? Long walks on the beach..haha... I don't think there is a public beach access very close either.

I prefer the south end jetty wall since it's not too far a walk from the public parking.

·
Registered
642 Posts
My dad is a huge surf fisherman and he has always tried to find trout in the topsail area surf, but without much success. I'm hoping we will find them with the MR's this fall. I've always had trouble making long casts with mirrolures into the wind while on the beach, but made some adjustments to gear this year. Nice catch! Those surf specks always look fatter than the ones I catch in the creeks while yak fishing :)

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Well how do you approach the north end of WB? Long walks on the beach..haha... I don't think there is a public beach access very close either.

I prefer the south end jetty wall since it's not too far a walk from the public parking.
Keyword, used to.
At one time you could park in that turn around circle, you couldn't give away a condo in Shell Island, and the walk to the inlet was 75 yards from the pavement. The fishing was better at the north end. We're talking 25 years ago. That inlet isn't close to where it use to be. Shell Island Resort was fixing to be claimed by the ocean and had sand bags at the back door. Use to flat out kill the fish on the north end. I was hitting it 5 to 6 days a week.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes sir DR, I remember those days well. We all thought at the time that Shell Island would be an artifical reef one day. It was an amazing feat to watch them move Mason Inlet to the northern to save the resort and the south end of Fig 8 all in the same process.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Yes sir DR, I remember those days well. We all thought at the time that Shell Island would be an artifical reef one day. It was an amazing feat to watch them move Mason Inlet to the northern to save the resort and the south end of Fig 8 all in the same process.
I wish every day I had bought 4 or 5 of those condos. I could retire on that return.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I wish every day I had bought 4 or 5 of those condos. I could retire on that return.
Wow - that doesn't seem that long ago. I remember watching the surf hit the rubble wall they installed to keep that place from becoming beach sand. Everyone was saying how it was going to get buried and all along I thought that there was no way the powers that be would allow this to happen.
I get your point about having 4-5 of those condos as speculation income but if I had them and I saw what was going on I don't know if the old ticker would have been able to handle it. Plus I can hear my better half screaming, "You see? I KNEW we should have never bought these. Now there sinking into the ocean" :D

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Oh no, the time to buy was when people that owned them were trying to dump them because their ticker couldn't handle the encroaching waves anymore. Buy when they were selling like used time shares. CHEAP!!!

Oceans sands over at Atlantic Beach. Used to be a Holiday Inn. They sold the rooms off. My parents had a chance to buy as many as they wanted for 15 grand a pop. Seen them go for 90 or better since then. Have some friends that bought into that. They would depreciate what they could, sell the unit, and pick up another one or two out there and do the same. Kept em rented about year round.

But yea Shell Island was built in 85 and a proper setback considering it bordered an inlet was ignored. Pretty much what happened was when they signed the building permit they acknowledged that they knew they couldn't build any structure to defend the property from the onslaught of the sea. Within 5-6 years it was already in danger. Somewhere in the late 90's maybe 97 the RULE was set aside and they were allowed to bag it but it was in trouble well before then.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Didn't the south end of Figure 8 Island suffer from erosion from measures taken at the N end of WB.? I have not fished that way in a long time but I heard people say the inlet is volatile?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.