NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if it's viable to tie down a 12' or so yak in a standard size truck bed with rope alone. bed extender would be preferable of course but i got rear ended last year and haven't fixed the bumper/hitch yet. pretty much the only thing keeping me from a yak at this point is transportation and wondering if im gonna have to bite the bullet to fix the truck first

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a 5 1/2 bed, but use bed extender! My yak is 11 1/2ft. I use a racket strap to tie it down, I already lost 1 paddle out the back of the truck, the lady behind me was kind enough to stop, but when my son jump out to go get it, then she decided to run over it! Nice flat carbon shaft, really made my day!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I haul a 10' hanging out the back of my short bed about 3', but it is a really light boat. What boat? If it has a blunt stern, put it in backwards and see how much hangs out. Unless it is really heavy, there likely won't be that much weight hanging out. Concern is whether it would try to bend at the edges of the tailgate (unlikely).

·
Registered
863 Posts
It's very doable. I have 2 friends who both have Tarpon 120's. One has a Chevy S-10, the other a Nissan Frontier and they both carry their kayaks in the back of the bed w/ no extender, tied down well w/o a problem. I believe the guy w/ the Frontier always has his angled to get the most kayak in the bed but the S-10 has his right down the middle. They each travel from Wilmington to Swansboro a lot and never have a problem

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
It's doable without a doubt. That's how I roll all the time. Get you a good ratchet strap and attach it to both sides of the bed with the front kayak handle "threaded" onto the strap. I use only this at times and then sometimes i'll run another strap through the side handles of the yak and to the other tie down hooks at the end of the bed. Make sure the ratchet straps are tight but not tight enough to damage the yak. Take off. You'll pull the bed off the frame of the truck before you'll lose the yak.

P.S. I have a bed extender for super cheap if you're interested. It's basically brand new.

P.S. #2 If using a smaller truck (I have used both sizes) angle the yak to keep more of it in the bed with less overhang......

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
8ft sheet of plywood slid back about 4 ft from the cab with gate down will give your bed more reach for support. Just don't slide the ply too far out of the bed..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Easily done. I've taken a solo canoe over 200+ miles of interstate and back (in a small Ford Ranger). All you need is some quality rope and 2 Trucker's Hitch knot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trucker's_hitch
http://www.animatedknots.com/truckers/
http://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/truckers-hitch/

Angle the vessel and tie a Bowline knot to your trucks anchor points in under the bed rail. I use a length of rope from the back of the canoe to the front anchor point on the same side. Repeat from the front or middle of the vessel to the other (near) side.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I thought about a frame or something of that nature as well. But it takes a literal minute to slide a yak in and run a strap through it and clip it to the hauling hook bracket on the inside of the bed and go.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I thought about a frame or something of that nature as well. But it takes a literal minute to slide a yak in and run a strap through it and clip it to the hauling hook bracket on the inside of the bed and go.

Sent from my kayak...
I spend way under a minute now; I keep a clip on a short cord that goes from a cleat to the bracket. The reason for a frame would be to support the boat closer to the ends to limit flex going over bumps. It would stick out past the tailgate. I don't need it for the 10' even in a short bed, but for a longer boat it is a good idea.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Have seen 13 foot yaks hauled with no bed extender in standard cab. I would say strap the back of the yak down good so it can't possibly tip.
I saw a guy with a Slayer 13 Propel in a short bed at Harris one day. He loaded it stern first and had all his gear in the tankwell and seat area; nothing up front. Over 5' was hanging off the back. It's one of those things that gives you the willies to look at but should be okay. Still not sure I would do it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
F 150 short bed and Guide 119. Stick in the bed and run about 45 minutes down the interstate every weekend.

I don't like to angle the boat as mine will block line of sight to the brake lights. I also have an orange tag rope for the extra safety, not because of any laws.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If I"m carrying just one kayak, I usually stuff the front of my 'yak into the drivers side front corner, then angle to back against the rear corner of the truck. I then use a ratchet strap from one post hole in the truck to the other side with the strap going through the handle on the back of the 'yak. Then tighten the ratchet. Mine is an 11.5 footer. Driven with it like that numberous times on 2.5 hour trips with no problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.