NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first came on the site i asked about sealing up a jon boat. One or two people said that you could put the lining on a jon and it would work good. I was wondering since we have so many new people joining us if anyone has seen or has a jon done like this. Was just wondering what it does to the weight of the boat and if it really does work in stopping leaks. thanks in advance.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I've seen aluminum and wood jon boats sealed up with Herculiner ( from an auto parts store brushed on) and Rhino Lined or LineX by a spray on service. It all seems to work. I know the Pro stuff is best and toughest! Figure it is probably a gallon or 2 at most of thick liquid so I'd say 20-30lbs tops.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks drop. Wal Mart has a bed lining material for a gallon it's only about 40 bucks. I could put that on in no time and save some money doing it myself. The Gluv It stuff costs 80 bucks and you have to paint it also.

I think I'm going to give it a go and see how it does. Thanks again drop. I don't know what I was thinking. I should have asked you directly cause I should have known you would know.

Reactions: sundrop

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
LOL Coach , if there is a back yard "patch" I either know it or know someone that does..LOL!! be sure to coat heavily along seams and 2 coats are better than one! I would coat the seams heavily first, allow that to dry per directions and then recoat seams first them the rest of the boat. I would also coat inside and out. be sure to follow prep direstions so you get adhesion of the product.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I coat the whole bottom of the inside or just the seams??

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Just an idea here Coach... if you can get a liner (spray or roll on) in a gray color.. should would be alot nicer only for the fact that that black liner color will smoke you out of the boat when it gets hot.. and I mean hot! Just somethin to think about..

That lining stuff is good, sticks great and works just as good in john boats as it would for a truck bed.

There's a place in Spring Lake right before the new Walmart there on 210.. you could probably run by there with a measurement and get a quote from them..

Good luck with that, and if you do it,, post pix! ;)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Just an idea here Coach... if you can get a liner (spray or roll on) in a gray color.. should would be alot nicer only for the fact that that black liner color will smoke you out of the boat when it gets hot.. and I mean hot!
Dave---I had just signed in to remark on that--A black liner in July and August will give extra meaning to global warning. You'll have to sink boat to cool off.:)

Reactions: Coach D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
You can get light colors but you may have to order it. Doing seams will work but doing the whole thing would look nice. I'm not sure about painting it but it will tell on the can.

Reactions: Coach D

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Jeff, paint probably wont stick to it that well.. Would be alot of extra work too as you'd have to sand down the liner, then try to paint it... would simply be too much time involved.

Two options I can think of,, get the liner sprayed that has color added or, could put a removable indoor/outdoor carpet over it.

Like Forrest said,, come Jun/Jul/Aug... that black will be smokin hot..

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can get excess pieces of outdoor carpet I'm sure. Step father works for a tile and carpet place. Thanks for the ideas guys.

·
Registered
715 Posts
A.K. McCullam has a green rubber like coating you brush on but pretty expensive from what I remember. Sure does quiten the aluminum boat though.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Coating the outside of a jonboat with truck-bed-liner stuff? I must've missed something...
If you've seen some of the rough coated heavy duty aluminum boats on the market now ( I'll have to hunt them down) they are coated with a "Rhinoliner" type coating inside and out.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Hm! I'd never heard of designing a boat's hull to have an abrasive (non-slip) surface. I always thought slipperiness was a good thing out there. I guess the thinking is that on a jonboat that surface resistance is negligible, and you generally don't need to worry about sliding the boat along trailer bunks?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
If you've seen some of the rough coated heavy duty aluminum boats on the market now ( I'll have to hunt them down) they are coated with a "Rhinoliner" type coating inside and out.
Abrasive/rough surface on the outside of a NEW boat? I haven't seen or heard of that before. I always like to learn new things and trends in the industry, so Sundrop if ya can give us some links or spec sheet or something that would be great. Thanks.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
TA you're right. That Xpress tough coat isnt all the way underneath. It is a liner. Sorry, I stand corrected.... With an old JOn I might still do it since speed isnt really an issue for most. It would give the old bottom a little thickness and protection. But TA is right, I looked it up and I don't see any that have it underneath!!!! makes sense.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm just looking for a cheap way to seal up any and all leaks that I may or may not have. Looks like a good way to do it and save bucks. I only have a trolling motor and at most will have about a 5 hp motor on it. Speed is not an issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.