NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
This is my first post but i've been looking at the great information and tips for a long time on the site. I just wanted to tell yall to be careful out there. Yesterday evening i went out to the Wildlife ramp off 42 in between Sanford and Moncure. Got out there about 8:00, put the boat in, caught some shad and began fishing. There was one other jon boat with a small truck pulling it on the water and we seen them on down the river and they waved didn't think nothing of it. Around 10 i heard there boat fire up and they headed back towards the ramp. The bite wasn't on that night so we headed back down river towards the ramp and seen someone shining a spot light up and down the river and i thought that was a little odd. Sure enough as soon as they spotted us the truck with a boat and another car that was with them took off quick as soon as they seen us. Tied the boat up at the dock and head back to the truck and i can see they pried my tool box open. Walk around the other side and the passenger side glass is all busted out. They got about $500 worth of stuff from my truck. I learned my lesson. Your better off leaving your truck unlocked and nothing worth anything in there. Well just thought id let yall know, I sure hope it don't happen to anyone else.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Never know who it actually was but ramps are a bad place to leave your stuff. Especially the more secluded ones and late at night. Anyone who knows about them knows its a good place to steal things. When the price of scrap catalytic converters went through the roof because they contain platinum several people came back to loud exhausts where someone had used a saw and cut the converter right out from under their trucks! I had a tackle box and nice cooler stolen from a camper shell at Falls lake years ago and it broke me of keeping much in the truck when I go to a ramp especially at night. I have also returned to a missing battery and once to an open gas cap and 1/2 my gas gone. But the craziest thing was the night I came back to a blue cooler full of catfish and a few beers in the bed of my truck???? I guess they were so drunk one of them put it in the wrong green Ford?? Sad, but true..

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
they were tasty!!! gave away the beer though, I only do ambers and stouts.
Merry Christmas on that cooler of catfish Brent. I didn't think you would mind ;)

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Only problem I had at a ramp was at Hwy 42 on the Cape fear. I fished there one Monday in October a few years ago and came back to find muddy foot prints in the bed of my truck and handprints all over the back window. I dont know if they got in but I never noticed anything missing. That place has always gave me bad vibes.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Never know who it actually was but ramps are a bad place to leave your stuff. Especially the more secluded ones and late at night. Anyone who knows about them knows its a good place to steal things. When the price of scrap catalytic converters went through the roof because they contain platinum several people came back to loud exhausts where someone had used a saw and cut the converter right out from under their trucks! I had a tackle box and nice cooler stolen from a camper shell at Falls lake years ago and it broke me of keeping much in the truck when I go to a ramp especially at night. I have also returned to a missing battery and once to an open gas cap and 1/2 my gas gone. But the craziest thing was the night I came back to a blue cooler full of catfish and a few beers in the bed of my truck???? I guess they were so drunk one of them put it in the wrong green Ford?? Sad, but true..
Reminds me of the time I hiked out of the woods from deer hunting and found my truck bed to be loaded with a doe......I later found out it was a friend of mine playing a joke that I didn't find funny. Game warden didn't either when he questioned me about the blood in my truck bed and no record of me calling the kill in.......young and dumb.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry that happened to you. I have been fishing for over 50 +/- years now starting off with my Dad/Uncles/cousins/brothers and now just me and a close friend or me alone and have never had that happen. I have always looked upon the fishing/hunting crowd as some of the most respectful/honest (Unless your asking about fish story's) people in the all of the United States and have never worried about my personal effects sitting at a ramp/dock/parking lot...with that said...know that the times...they are a changin'. Respect for your fellow man has all but disappeared from society. I always leave my vehicle unlocked and never leave anything in it of any great value to me. If my truck gets damaged/stolen...well, that is what insurance is for!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The odd thing is that particular ramp (42 - Corinth - Cape Fear) has been that way for years; it was probably 15 years ago I went there the first time and it gave me the willies. Asked around and was told theft was very common there. You would think they would crack down every now and then and stake it out or something.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I can forgive alot of stuff but stealing is just not that easy to do for me. I have a hard time with a thief, and the lazy mentality it takes to get there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been pretty leery a few times at a ramp at Falls. Even though I don't keep anything in it,I'll take that sound advice and leave my doors unlocked from now on.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I once pulled into the ramp at Ledge Rock on Falls midday on a week day just because I was in the area and wanted to look at the water. There were maybe 3 or 4 vehicles there. I had to take a leak so I headed for the trees and walked past an Expedition and heard a dinging sound. Upon closer inspection he had his windows 1/2 way down and keys in the ignition, no boat or person in sight... that truck was asking to get stolen.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Use to go to that ramp back in the late 70's and early 80's, never had a problem. We use to camp out there also. But we were right there with our vehicle come dark. Did get broke into at another ramp here in Duplin County a few years back. Got the radio and a few other things.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts