NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are heading out on Sunday to try and catch our first flounder. We usually go offshore but just recently have started trying to learn a little about inshore and she has fallen in love with it! We will be putting the boat in at the Wildlife ramp right before you get to Oak Island. I have a good many Carolina rigs tied up and ready to go, and I'm planning on catching some peanut pogies. My question is do I need to worry about catching finger mullet when I have peanut pogies readily available, and are there any tips on what I should try to connect with our first flounder? Any help is greatly appreciated. We will be fishing a 16' aluminum boat, thank you for any help in advance.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Finger mullet will stay alive alot better- just make sure you have a good live well or one of those plano minnow buckets that you can hang over the side of the boat. Also- remember that a flounder likes to scale the minnow before swallowing it so give it time and don't be too hasty to set the hook- we " ALL " have pulled the hooks early. Alot of times the flounder bite will not be a tug or pull at all- just feels like your dragging a bag or cloth ( heavy feel ) just keep it coming slowly and eventually you'll feel it pull and try to swim away. Bucktails rigged in tandem with a strip of squid or fish work great- 1st sign of a bite- you do set the hook with those- much better hook-up ratio also.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sometimes when a flounder strikes or grabs a live bait, Mullet or pogie, it will feel like you felt one hard knock at the end of your line. Wait patiently about a minute or two. Pull toward you your pole to see if u feel weight. Wait another moment and lift up on rod tip. If hes got it, he will pull down. Be ready to set the hook. Flounder bite differently all the time. It could be a hard hit, and he starts moving off. Practice makes perfect. Id rather be flounder fishing than any other fish in the water . Fish close to docks and you will be sure to score.Good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd fish artificials as well. I've caught more flounder on jig heads and jerk baits bounced off the bottom than on live.

Also, make sure you have a net to scoop them before they get their head out of the water. I've lost some good ones thinking that I had them hooked and they will shake within 12" of the surface

·
Registered
969 Posts
Flounder do not scale a bait before eating it. The impatient angler rips it out of his mouth right after he grabs it instead of letting him get it down.
Agreed, but i've deep hooked a lot of short ones and have gone to setting the hook just after the feel.
What hook do you prefer? 2/0 owner 5115 here.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
1/0 vmc 7387ps circles. And it funny you say that cause I've found that most of the time if it's a keeper ten or fifteen seconds is plenty of time after the first thump. That being said I don't keep any flounder under 17" not enough meat for me. Only exception is when using big baits for big fish. That's when I sit the rod down with a loose drag and wait a few minutes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stop by wildlife bait n tackle on right just before you get to the ramp. If Jimmy Price is there, he can point you in the right direction for the conditions. Probably one of the best flounder fishermen on the east coast. If you happen to get near ft caswell, its always worth a shot, area between the fishing pier and boat basin has some good structure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Flounder do not scale a bait before eating it. The impatient angler rips it out of his mouth right after he grabs it instead of letting him get it down.
I agree that this happens, but numerous times, I have reeled in baits that has been scaled with small puncture marks, after feeling the bite, hitting free spool and waiting 30 seconds or longer. Also, don't think just flounder hit baits like this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really appreciate all of the great advice, we have everything rigged up now from Carolina Rigs, Jig heads, to Popping corks and try to get a trout as well. We are heading east this afternoon so I will post a report when we get back! I will make sure I stop in and see Jimmy I've been in his shop a couple of times, and we would be fishing the nearshore reefs but the offshore boat is in the shop right now so we'll be staying inside!

·
Registered
309 Posts
He didn't say to fish the nearshore reefs in the 16 foot boat though provided the weather was nice you easily could. The op said he usually goes offshore to fish. Therefore he has an offshore capability of some capacity.
Yep....thats what happens when you are reading at 12am with one eye open and the other asleep!

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Live bait I always use the 30 second rule and I count slow. Feel a bump or even like a clump of weed or bottom snag and free spool, count and engage. If there is weight give it a firm but not crazy set. If it starts hammering good. If it feels alive but not rapping hard I usually release the spool again and wait/repeat.
If it is a small fish is just cut the leader. I never mess with trying to retrieve a swallowed hook. It will corrode away quickly if it isn't a stainless hook or so I'm told. Never stuck around to watch.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all of the advice, we tried everything from Carolina Rigs, Gulp shrimp in every color, Popping corks with live shrimp and gulp shrimp, mirrolures topwater and suspending, Carolina rigs with gulp crabs, and fished every spot that looked like it might hold fish and we didn't even get a bite. It rained on and off all day and the water was terribly dirty. We tried hard but we might just not know where the right places are to fish but we are going to try them again next weekend, and hopefully have some better luck, its a learning process!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong,dirty water can ruin a fishing trip,that's what I would go with anyway. Keep at it,you'll have your day soon. How many times did you say "this is my last cast"?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts