NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
However way you want to fish it is the proper way. The tube is probably the most versitile soft plastic bait on the market. You can fish it from top to bottom in the water column. Just use your imagination and you can more than likely fish it that way.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Bigger tubes are most often fished Texas Rigged, often with the bullet sinker pegged with a toothpick or using a screw-in bullet sinker (I think this is called "Florida rig" - good flipping bait). When Texas rigging, I push an offset hook through the head, out the side, back through both sides of the tube and either leave the point exposed against the outside or skin hook it to make it more weedless. They can also be fished weightless like a soft jerkbait, Carolina Rig or drop shot. On the smaller ones you typically stuff a jig head all the way inside the tube and push the eyelet out through the plastic near the "head" of the tube. The jig hook is exposed out the "tail". Small tubes also make great drop shot baits.

Texas Rigged tubes make a nice change of pace when everybody else is fishing worms, or serve as a good alternative to the jig&pig for those of us who are jig-challenged.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Depends on how you rig, but this gets back to Uconnz anything goes statement. I look a the tubes as a crawdad imitation so I tend to fish Texas rig and keep it low & slow by dragging or with small hops - 6" or so.

Texas rigged you can also pop it off the bottom violently (2-3 feet) and let it fall back down (most hits come on the drop - watch the line for movement as it falls). You can cast it to structure and just let it fall (bridge pilings, tree trunks, etc... - adjust the weight to get a faster or slower fall).

Carolina rigged you just drag it - the weight is a couple feel ahead of the tube and the tube should free swim up and slowly float back down.

With a jighead rig you'd usually pop it off the bottom and it will spiral down, or you can swim it at any level in the water column.

As a soft jerkbait you let it sink to the depth you want to fish it and twitch it back about a foot at a time - it should produce a back&forth "Walk-the-dog" motion. This will also work as a topwater presentation, especially in a heavily weeded area. Drag it across the matted weeds then let it drop into the holes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can take used tubes and they become jig or spinnerbait trailers. Use larger tubes for dragging over the top of lilly pads or slop. When you get to holes in the vegetation, just let the tube fall into it. For this presentation I usually stuff a small weight inside of the tube so it doesn't hang up as easily on the vegetation. Also the weight causes the tube to spiral as it falls. If your looking to get some really great Tubes, here is a link Stalker Baits

I hope I'm allowed to do that on here. This is the only place that I buy my Tubes.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
UCONN, no problem sharing other great fishing links that are not products or services that the poster themselves are connected to. (Of course we'd love to have a reciprocal link from other sites whenever possible). We only ask that for products or services that someone wants to promote of their own, that they purchase a NC Angler Sponsor membership (to add a graphic link to their signature file) or a banner ad package from us as an advertiser.
If your looking to get some really great Tubes, here is a link Stalker Baits
I hope I'm allowed to do that on here. This is the only place that I buy my Tubes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.