NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be moving to the Sylva, NC area in the mountains and I'm looking to do some more trout fishing. My experience with trout is limited to small hatchery supported and DH creeks, but the Tuckasegee looks like a lot more water than I'm used to. I have a 12' kayak, are there any flat water sections that are a good float? Also, the house I'm looking at is right on the river just west of Webster on the DH portion, so I'm looking to fish a good bit. I have some hip waders, is it easy to fish the banks? Any and all information is greatly appreciated! And I truly mean any and all is appreciated, even if it's non fishing related, I'm new to the area and looking to explore.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
There's plenty of river to float...above and below the DH section...a little scouting and you will easily find the put-ins and take-outs. I don't think it's a river to fish from the banks...some wading will be required....and I think you will likely want chest waders for most of the year. A lot of the lower DH section is not easily accessible to wading anglers...and the kayak will be handy. The important thing is to be alert to the river level and the plans for water release...otherwise you may become and unhappy and soggy angler.

Others who fish it more may have some good suggestions.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Duke Power online release schedule is important to watch, but you have to also factor in water timing. For example they might cut the river on or off and it will take 4hr.+ for it to a rise or fall down in Webster. (time of the year is important for fishing too) The entire Tuck watershed is really fishable all the way to Fontana lake. Upper sections hold more trout and the closer to the lake more bass. Iv'e been fishing the Tuck since 2000 when I started school at WCU. Please PM me if you have any specific question regarding the river..

·
Registered
529 Posts
Duke Power online release schedule is important to watch, but you have to also factor in water timing. For example they might cut the river on or off and it will take 4hr.+ for it to a rise or fall down in Webster. (time of the year is important for fishing too) The entire Tuck watershed is really fishable all the way to Fontana lake. Upper sections hold more trout and the closer to the lake more bass. Iv'e been fishing the Tuck since 2000 when I started school at WCU. Please PM me if you have any specific question regarding the river..
We were at WCU at the same time, man. I was there from '98-'03. I'm sure our paths crossed on the Tuck more than once.

A kayak will be invaluable for you on the river. The easily accessible sections are hammered, but there is a lot of river that sees very little pressure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was raised on the Tuck, and live on it now. Your kayak should be fine, just watch the release schedules from Duke. the DH portion of the Tuck gets hammered by drift boats and wading fishermen, but that doesn't mean you can't do well. Upstream from the Highway 107 bridge to the confluence of Caney Fork the Tuck is pretty good, with a good bit of smooth water. Its tough to fish from the bank so get some chest waders. From Dillsboro to Barkers Creek is the section I fish the least so I'll refer it to someone else. From Barker's Creek on NW to Fontana is fantastic Smallmouth water. This section also has Walleye, White Bass, LM, Spots, Crappie, Bream and even some Muskie. The extreme southern ends of the Tuck are hit or miss the East Fork has a few trout but the fishing is tough. The West Fork has a nice population of wild Brown Trout, is a small stream and can be tight casting. Both forks get rough when Duke turns on the water. It takes only minutes for it to get deep and fast so be very careful. Duke does not have release alarms so don't count on that to warn you. good luck hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.