NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished two DH streams in Ashe and found a variety of conditions. Some spots had lots of cooperative fish on Sun...and appeared to have no fish today. Other spots that I rarely fish, were very productive today. Nevertheless, we managed to keep ourselves entertained with rainbows, brooks and a few browns. Best fish were 16 and 19", with a good number of smaller fish thrown into the mix. Flies that produced both days were egg patterns, small dark colored nymphs and wooly buggers. And in several instances multiple split shot were the key to catching fish. I think there are still plenty of fish to be found but when they are obstinate, stubborn, lethargic or just generally in an uncooperative attitude...the quick assumption is that they "are gone." But, I think there are still plenty to test your angling skill, fly selection, casting ability and ability to get the flies deep enough. Water levels were excellent and rain did not fall during the day....regardless of what the weatherman forecast... Two mild Dec. days with some cooperative fish in the high country... Sweet!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weather breaks some
I don't blame you. I expect with the current forecast that Helton will likely freeze over in a number of spots...perhaps quite solid...as it does several times during cold snaps. I have seen the big pool in the campground frozen so solid that folks had been walking out on the ice in the middle. Kinda tough fishing....err...ahh...catching in those conditions.

This is the time to sit by the wood stove; tie a few flies; and sip your favorite "tea" :rolleyes:

With the extended cold periods, however, sometimes it is worth the drive to the "high country" just to see how much does freeze...especially on the New River at Mouth of Wilson. Pretty impressive to see that when the ice floes have jammed up and created a "solid" layer of ice several feet thick. Looks like New England....

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I like the cold water fishing fellas. Nobody around and it really tests your abilities and dedication. The frozen reel/eyelets however are a real pain but now hopefully I've got something that will prevent that for the most part. I'll see how it works soon I hope. Layer up and get at it.....it's just cold. Although I don't know how much you can do with frozen flows.....

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I fished with hookedontrout, his son, and wingsdlc once in South Mountains and tried standing at the top pf the flow and letting line drift under the ice. NO Luck, but I have caught some fish when I had to enter the creek in the shallow flows and walk the center because there was too much ice at the banks to get a fish in over it.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I like the cold water fishing fellas. Nobody around and it really tests your abilities and dedication. The frozen reel/eyelets however are a real pain but now hopefully I've got something that will prevent that for the most part. I'll see how it works soon I hope. Layer up and get at it.....it's just cold. Although I don't know how much you can do with frozen flows.....
At 48 years old...I think that's how old I am. Maybe it's 49.
Anyway. I feel like I've been tested enough in this life. But I'll join in the fun and test my ability to use my head and sit by the heater rather than use Vaseline to keep ice out of my eyelets.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
At 48 years old...I think that's how old I am. Maybe it's 49.
Anyway. I feel like I've been tested enough in this life. But I'll join in the fun and test my ability to use my head and sit by the heater rather than use Vaseline to keep ice out of my eyelets.
Ok. Thanks for that information. Have fun with your heater.

Sent from my kayak...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.