NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While residing in Southern California in the late 90's fishing for largemouth bass on legendary Lakes Casitas and Castaic I once caught two largemouth on an original, hand carved/painted AC Plug (pictured below). It was fall on Castaic and a school of bass had a bait ball trapped in at the back of a canyon. Tossed the AC out there and two 4lb bass crushed it. It's a big bubba lure and I landed both fish.

Monday afternoon at 2:15pm fishing the rising for reds I had two beasts fighting over my red/white Mirrolure topwater plug. The initial blowup was crazy. My mind was having difficulty processing what was occurring at the end of my line. Felt the weight, set the hook but the initial drag screaming run didn't happen. Now the water is just frothing but it's not going anywhere and it's got me thinking "big Ray". I start winding the Penn Spinfisher V 3500 and the fish goes right then abruptly left...without actually turning. Then I thought I lost it as a swirl blows up left of where my lure was, but I still feel the fish. Then that swirl busts it again!

I've got TWO!!

They're about 20' from the boat now just trashing like their lives depended on it. Big Fish. Then they both pop off...I scream in pain (mental anguish) and one of them blows up the lure as it's just sitting, motionless on the surface. A fitting farewell.

Retrieving the lure (pic below) I find that the front treble is missing a hook and another is bent 90 degrees. The rear treble has one hook mildly bent and another bent 90 degrees. Relatively new, Gamakatsu #2 round bend hooks. I don't think the engineers planned for this scenario.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Dude, that's just greedy. Seriously, come on. Some of us are just trying to catch ONE occasionally!

Man, what an amazing report- something like that happens once in a lifetime if you are lucky. To do have it happen twice, both times with respectably sized gamefish is pretty darned amazing. Not sure if you should play the lottery, or if you should avoid it because your luck is all spent out!

:)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
What a sight that must have been... Nice work! Hard to believe after all that you got a follow up strike. Couldn't have been one of the two caught on the lure together so that means there were most likely three reds in this scenario. Maybe next time throw a super spook with three trebles, I can't wait to see your post about that! Inshore slam on one cast:eek:!!!!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hey Birdman-- great story. I grew up in the SF Valley & fished Castaic a lot, Casitas, not so much. I've got a couple original AC Plugs and even made a few of my own. Hoping to try them for big drum in the Pamlico this year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.