NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests. I am curious about using buzzbaits for drum. It would seem like the next best thing to a top water explosion having a drum smash a buzzbait. Anyone jazzed about using these?
Nextly I'd like some opinion on what artificials to use for flounder. I have caught flounder on soft plastic etc but never really tried to target them using only artificials. I fully plan to have my one drum shortly after I get out tomorrow (cough cough) and once I do (cough cough again) I'd like to kill, butcher and consume my legal limit of flounder using artificial baits.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I have used buzz baits and caught drum on them before, however they aren't something I throw. I just don't like them. If want something other than a walk the dog or popper style bait I go with a wake bait such as a Strike Pro Humpback or a Prop Bait.

As far as the flounder catching goes, after you catch your first redfish of the morning on Topwater don't quit. Keep hammering them until half an hour earlier than you would normally go home and use that extra time to run to the fish house and buy your 6 flatties ;)

You could of course toss Gulp Shrimp on a jig head and try catching them. Any shrimp or minnow imitation will catch them too.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't use gulp shrimp or anything gulp because the croaker are just tearing it up??

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Then use other artificals. A white shrimp is a white shrimp it doesn't have to be gulp. I've always used gulp on my bucktails and fished with success got tired of them getting torn up so I ordered some 3 inch white got cha shrimp with no scent. The same with curly tails. I am still as successful with unscented baits for flounder as I am with scented baits and I spend half the time changing baits out flounder really don't use there sense of smell to feed as other game fish I think they base there feeding off reaction strikes

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Don't do it anymore, but used to catch a bunch of flounder on straight bucktails, no trailers, no scent. I think if will probably still work. But maybe a bucktail with pro cure would even be better.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am liking the procure I started using but I am fishing only for drum recently. I'll give the flounder some attention one day but for now I am obsessing over top water drum.

·
Registered
221 Posts
spro bucktail with a 4 in. swimming mullet, or if you can find any flounder pounder by prototype with a 4 in slim shad will work on the flounder

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've always found that hookups from redfish on a buzzbait are difficult due to their mouths being under their heads...not the ideal position to hit a moving target overhead. As for flounder, my buddy NCTribute has good luck using a Z-man minnow (pearl or white) and I'll use a pearl DOA jerkbait when the frustration of feeding Gulp to pinfish and tiny croakers gets the best of me. The common thread is white (or pearl). Your quest "to kill, butcher, and consume" flounder is righteous.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've always found that hookups from redfish on a buzzbait are difficult due to their mouths being under their heads...not the ideal position to hit a moving target overhead. As for flounder, my buddy NCTribute has good luck using a Z-man minnow (pearl or white) and I'll use a pearl DOA jerkbait when the frustration of feeding Gulp to pinfish and tiny croakers gets the best of me. The common thread is white (or pearl). Your quest "to kill, butcher, and consume" flounder is righteous.
Yea. I once was amazed they get hooked up on top water but the reason they do is also one of the main reasons it is so addictive. It's that unmistakable vacuum sound they make. If I could get a recording of that sound I'd play loop it continuously on my head phones. I'd say they get hooked as many times as they don't but when they go for a bait their mouth gets huge and may even disjoint a bit to such up as much water as they can and vacuum that prey. They never took the class on proper table etiquette. One of those that a caught recently had two of the treble hooks in its chin so you know it was all over that plug. I know for sure I have as many or more blow ups than hook ups but even those give me a thrill. Watching the plug sink down into a hole in the water made by a drum and hearing it suck and splash is too much fun.

·
Registered
643 Posts
When I'm in permitting waters, Ie not in back creeks full of stumps , and I'm fishing alone I'll drag a poppin cork with a shrimp plastic of any type on it as I'm looking for drum or trout and running the trolling motor. I never target flounder in my home waters of new river cause only mr Breadman finds the keepers reliably, and they don't fight much...

But dragging that cork will always pick up a few fish, and since I never target flounder specifically, it's a nice way to throw a few in the cooler cause they may not fight but they taste great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
To me Flounder are more of a challenge to catch than drum. You can keep 6 and they taste amazing. Although I have never come close to limiting out on Flounder I hope to sometime. Flounder might not fight like drum but the big ones DO fight. One thing about Flounder tho I never know if I've hooked an oyster or a flounder til they get to the yak and make that first run ha ha.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I too enjoy flounder. A big, thick flounder will absolutely pull out a lot of line. I keep saying I am going to go after them. I've been told the big flounder are in creeks now by a "pro" and I can't say why they would be inside the creeks but I'll take his word for it. I am still way too obsessed about top water drum fishing to go after flounder. I am backed up with fish meat now so additional fish will be put in the freezer as well unless my wife and I eat one half the day I bring it home or the day after. If the drum have left me high and dry I'll go for flounder which means bait to start with anyway. I hate using bait.
Thanks

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I've read but better or as well as bait?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I don't know but I have never caught a flounder on live bait. What are you suppose to do with a mullet on a Carolina rig when your searching a marsh for flounder? You cast it and your lucky if by the 4th cast you still have your bait. If fishing docks with live bait do you just throw in under there and wait several minutes or are you still constantly moving your bait?

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Dragging that popping cork with plastic behind you while you are casting for drum can be productive. If you're in area that is free from snags, you can just drag the plastics, with no popping cork.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't know but I have never caught a flounder on live bait. What are you suppose to do with a mullet on a Carolina rig when your searching a marsh for flounder? You cast it and your lucky if by the 4th cast you still have your bait. If fishing docks with live bait do you just throw in under there and wait several minutes or are you still constantly moving your bait?
If you got time to watch, here you go:https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=182iD0ltNEo

1 - 20 of 36 Posts