NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished two rivers today, the Tuck and French. Was on the Tuck by 7:50am in Webster floating the delayed harvest section. Caught about ten trout between the two of us in a couple hours on flies. Not great numbers but, three of the fish were over 15in. so I can't complain to much. Woolly Buggers, and worm patterns caught all the fish. I was home by noon.

Was on the French in the late afternoon floated from 5-7pm. MY wife fished the Mepps in-line spinner and totally out fished me. (I was using jigs, crank baits) She landed two fat bass and a few red-eye's. I missed one fish on the jig and didn't have much luck that trip. In the best hole of that float, Lynae lands a sweet cast nearshore and gets hammered by one the second turn on the reel. The Big fish of the trip for sure, she fought it for a good four min's before it decided to take off down stream like a freight train. We were anchored up and it got the angle on her and pulled off. We never seen what it was, i guessing a hefty smallie, didn't fight like a Musky. Well, i guess it keeps ya coming back for more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Nice! Wish our rivers weren't blew out. Nice smallies.....if "the one that got away" was larger than those it was def a heartbreaker. Although, I will say if it was a smallie I figured you'd seen some out of the water action after fighting for a while.....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wademaster, I've noticed that the bigger smallmouth (+3-4 lb.) when hooked in a deep hole will usually not break the surface during the fight. They like to bulldog ya deep with hard runs. I think the the fish that take flight are often are caught in shallower water and jump because they can't pull/go deep. My guess is that fish was well over 3lb. (those other two fish pictured were only a pound and a half) She really couldn't horse it because she was fishing with light line 6lb. fluoro with a 8lb. fluoro leader. I wish we could have pulled the anchor and chased it down!

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Would've been a nice fish no matter what it was. Although, the larger ones I've caught have been all over the top of the water when trying to escape and throw the hook. Who knows.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gambusia, I'm not so sure if there are freshwater drum and catfish in the French Broad River. There might be, but i've never seen or heard of either of those species being pulled from that river. I would like to add fresh water drum to my life list of fish caught, what rivers are good to catch them in? What do they take lure or bait wise? I've only heard about them for a few years now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did some fact checking, and I was wrong both catfish and drum are found in the FB. The report I was looking at said that in 2008 a fresh water drum was recorded in Madison co. (extremely rare) And flathead catfish are non-native species that were introduced at some point. I'm thinking most of these types are caught closer to or in Tenn. than in and around Asheville.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Gambusia, I'm not so sure if there are freshwater drum and catfish in the French Broad River. There might be, but i've never seen or heard of either of those species being pulled from that river. I would like to add fresh water drum to my life list of fish caught, what rivers are good to catch them in? What do they take lure or bait wise? I've only heard about them for a few years now.
There are definitely drum in the FB, mostly downstream of the Laurel River confluence. As for flatheads, I recently caught one in the 3-4 lb range in the Swannanoa, a tributary of the FB, and I got one around 8 lbs last year down near Zen Tubing.

If you're after freshwater drum in NC, WF Pigeon is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The freshwater drum run up from a lake in tn. They are actually quite thick in the lower river below Redmon dam. There are ble, flathead, and channel cats in the French broad system, as well as a few species of bullheads. Madison county has the best cats, though I've caught several 15 lb'ers around the airport area. Big flatheads in Madison, caught a 30 lb'ers a couple years ago down there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.