NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From time to time I have difficulty situating my kayak in the wind/tide etc. I am wondering if there are people to who use two stake poles? If so how are these stored on the kayak? Right now I use a trolley for the one pole that I have. I guess I can use a second one with just a rope to secure it to the kayak and do the tightening up via the trolley pole???
I am also looking for material (solid fiberglass) for a stake pole is anypone knows of a supplier.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Ncpierman used a trolly on one and then stuck the other through the drain holes on his sit on top so you basically stick it right between your legs. no leaning or fidgeting. If I remember right from my charter with him last spring that is.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
yep one goes in the trolly the other at my feet in the scupper hole,and don't let people fool you by telling you it will cause cracks,the only way it will cause a crack is if there is heavy pressure on the stake out pole or it is just as thick as the hole your putting it in,i don't go on the water without 2 stake out poles ;)

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type of pole for the supper hole and where do you store it? The supper holes on my kayak are only about 1/2" diameter.
I tried the tomato Pol from Lowe's. It was way too flexible. I made one from 1" aluminum tubing and machined a steel point for the tip. It works well but I am thinking I'd like a solid fiberglass pole so I'm looking for one of these??
I don't want to spend $80.00 so I'll be diy.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
i pay 30.00 for 6 footers that are 1/2 in diameter better to pay 60.00 for 2 than 90.00 for one with a name on it the ones i get are solid fiber glass and yakattackflyflinger eddie manning can help ya out with some im sure he makes mine ;)

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
The tomato poles.... The 8' one is 1/2" and much less flexible than the shorter ones. I just cut 2' off of it before epoxying a 1/2" T to the end to use as a handle. So it's 6', less flex because of new shorter length, and strong enough to keep my 100 lb kayak and 400 lbs of paddler and gear from drifting in the wind. I've only used it twice (it's new to me).

Something I do have with ZERO flex if you want it.... I have 1/2" thin walled hollow steel poles which were made for huge cabin tents. They come in 2' lengths and you would need to jb weld the sections together (one end is tapered, so they interlock). But that is SOLID, and relatively lightweight.... And free. Assuming you will be at red X in bay river next month, I can bring some out there.

Reactions: challenger

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I'm now using two stake poles. One is one a trolley tethered with a repurposed surfboard leash. The other is on the opposite side tethered with about 18" of parachord. Both have clips for quick release for when I catch a huge monster fish. This hasn't happened yet but they come in handy for having to quickly paddle for some "relief" and repositioning 😀. My problem is storage. The left side one on the trolley is no problem. The opposite side pole is where I also have my paddle so there is always some pole/paddle juggling. Any solutions other than "deal with it"?
One is 8' and the other is 6' and shares the side with the paddle.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have not used a pole yet at all. I have however used multiple anchors on thin braided line. I am trying to devise a way to put small electric winches on each so it picks the anchor up enough to be towed around the pond.
I do understand that I am close to comparing apples and oranges. If I am talking out the wrong end please let me know.

I I just don't see myself using poles, but they maybe better off nearer banks and shorelines or even shallow ponds.

·
Registered
310 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.