NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
That is a good link. Clousers are probably the best saltwater fly to start tying. No better person to learn from than Bob Clouser himself. Now where is the link to a video of Lefty Kreh tying a deciever?:D

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the DVD of Lefty and Bob tying together here at home. This is one of the most informative videoes series that I've watched to date. I believe that the Clouser and the Deciever are two must have patterns for any fly box. I have found both patterns work equally well in both salt and freshwater.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Not only are they effective and versatile, they don't require exotic methods or materials. Either one is suitable for the beginning tyer and/or fisherman. Most baitfish can de mimmicked by one or the other. (and you can mommick about any fish with one or the other)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're Right Sinkerman. You really don't have to invest alot in material to get started tying these patterns. I have caught Bass, Catfish, and Crappie on these patterns as well as Snook and Speckled Trout.

·
Registered
183 Posts
To quote a friend " the biggest hoax ever purpetrated on the fly fishing world". Again it was a quote, interestingly enough I've took them out of the fly box since I started catching with the Hellgramite. Notice I said "catching".

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just having a little fun, I've tied quite a few of them and like a great deal of the public thought they were one of the greatest things since sliced bread. I have never fished them in the salt but in fresh water you would have to pay me to pick it first. The reason I say that is I've seen and fished them from lakes and rivers from SC to VA and the fly I'm currently using puts it to shame. BTW I have several of Lefty's videos and have watched them several times and I am in no way demening him or his work.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing wrong with having a little fun. I don't know that the Clouser would always be my first freshwater pick either but I have caught alot of different fish on them. After seeing the size of some of Keith's recent Smallmouth on Hellgramites, I'm difinitely going to have to add some of those to my box. Thanks for playing along.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Actually, the larger smallies were caught using a small tan and yellow Puglisi minnow similar to the one I posted in the fly pattern section of this website.

The Clouser minnow is not my first choice either, however I don't leave home without it either. As far as elegant flies goe, it is hard to beat the Deceiver. It just looks to me like a fly should look!

Regards,
Keith

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I don't do alot of fly fishing or fly tying... But for a beginner to have something that will work just about anywhere; that he tied I'll stick to the clouser/ deciever recommendation. I wouldn't recommend a beginning fly fisherman start off on trout either. Too easy to spend a thosand bucks just to find out that you would rather be doing something totally different. The first trout I ever caught was an 11" brown on a fly dangled off of a cane pole when I was around 5yrs. old ....my first fly rod trout came on a squirrel tail creation I tied without the aid of any vice, bobbin or anything other than sewing thread squirrel tail and a hook. Primative ...yes ....but hey...after eating pellets for most of thier lives... I tied 4 wet flies today... size 10 no name, no pattern; but that doesn't matter... because even though I'm sure they would catch trout, they aren't for trout or even flyfishing. They are for catching bait. Now don't that make you cringe....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.